Have you gone through PRIDE classes?

(foster/ adoptive classes)

What did you think? I am finding it tough.

txdaniella

Asked by txdaniella at 12:56 AM on Jul. 22, 2010 in Adoption

• My husband and I are foster/adopt parents in San Antonio, Tx and went through PRIDE Jan. of '09. PRIDE can feel long, tedious and heart wrenching, but for us was worth it.  When they tell you not to get attached they just want you to understand that your heart can get broken if your foster child is reunited with the parents or other family members.  You have to decide if you can handle that risk.  What's your goal? Do you want to be straight foster, straight adopt or a foster/adopt parent?

G462er

Answer by G462er at 11:58 AM on Jul. 25, 2010

• never heard of pride classes but we did go through classes they changed the whole format after our classes... we also had to do so many hours of training a year..... what are you finding tough??
    chiana

Answer by chiana at 8:36 AM on Jul. 22, 2010

• In some areas PRIDE is called MAPP, but they are the same thing. We never got that far. We were starting to look at fost-adopt after we'd been on a waiting list with an agency for two years, but then our daughter was born so we didn't pursue it. I looked into it again recently, but DH is not willing now. I have some idea of the content, and I'm sure it is hard to stomach.
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 9:04 AM on Jul. 22, 2010

• What is it that you find tough?
    onethentwins

Answer by onethentwins at 2:19 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• I too am curious about what PRIDE classes are, and why they are difficult. My first thought is that before fostering/adopting a child, you would want to educate yourself as much as possible. Do they make it sound too hard? I think it is necessary to be brutally honest about challenges you might face.
    Southernroots

Answer by Southernroots at 12:16 AM on Jul. 23, 2010

• They don't make it sound too hard, per sey but it is just a lot of the people in class are grandparents who either have their grandkids but cant adopt them (yet) or are grandparents trying to get ahold of their grandbabies :( how sad. and there seem to be so many hoops to go through. the whole system seems sad, the fact that kids have to pretty much leave home, go to ONE home then another.??
    txdaniella

Comment by txdaniella (original poster) at 12:55 AM on Jul. 23, 2010

• I didn't think it was hard per say, just tons of info crammed into 27 hours. We had to take it twice when we switched from agency to county. Ideally the kids would be in one home while they are in foster care. But it's not always possible.
    yo_ho

Answer by yo_ho at 2:47 AM on Jul. 23, 2010

• When you say "it's hard", for us, it was very hard emotionally and psychologically to process that 1) unspeakable things happen to children, 2) they are victimized most often by people they know, and 3) that we'd be asked to take care of them, but not get attached (well, that never worked for me) because the goal is always reunification. We did PRIDE classes and some of the info you receive is heart-breaking. It does make you want to run & scream at times.

OP, I agree that the GP's should learn the training. It isn't always the case, but sometimes the people who raised the parents to hit and hurt are the grandparents. It's important to break the cycle. I've learned that it's more important for the children to be in a SAFE home, than in a relative's home, unless & until you know that the relatives are SAFE for them. I admire them for stepping up & taking care, but want them to know the training as well.
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 10:29 AM on Jul. 23, 2010

• did Pride many years ago (CA) and the medically fragile training. the system is hard to learn about~the process. Who the client is~the child or the parent? It is the system we have and it works best with talented people. Good social workers, educated adoptive parents and resourceful foster homes. You will see the system at its worst some days, and others at its best.
    surfcitymom

Answer by surfcitymom at 11:54 AM on Jul. 23, 2010

• We went through PRIDE classes in Orange County, CA. I didn't think they were "hard" but just a lot of info to digest. They are an eye-opener, that's for sure.
    LuvMyChloe

Answer by LuvMyChloe at 12:03 PM on Jul. 23, 2010