Two questions about checks and balancing your checkbook

First, if you use a program (either online or on your computer) to balance your checkbook, what do you use? I don't use Windows (I'm using Ubuntu, it's Linux), so nothing Microsoft would work.

Second, if you do not order checks from your bank, where do you order them from? I don't really want to order checks from my new bank because they aren't free (or really cheap) like they were at my old bank, and I'd like to have something that's more "me" than what they offer.

Thanks ladies!

Mrs.BAT

Asked by Mrs.BAT at 1:06 AM on Jul. 22, 2010 in Money & Work

• I search online for whatever is cheapest then choose what I like (we have farm animals right now).
    We keep track on microsoft money (hubby does).

I just have a certain budget each week (he gets paid biweekly but weeky is better for me) and try and stick to it.
    txdaniella

Answer by txdaniella at 1:08 AM on Jul. 22, 2010

• Well, I use Microsoft Money 2007, so that wouldn't work for you.

I get my checks from www.checksunlimited.com. I first found them through junk mail, but they do have good deals for returning customers. Since I pay most of our bills online and rarely write checks, one order has lasted us for over 2 years.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 7:55 AM on Jul. 22, 2010

• I always ordered from the place that's advertised in the junk mail.

as for balancing, I just always did it by hand in the register that you get from the bank. Then check my statement when it comes and mark things off it to make sure they cleared & such.
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 1:09 AM on Jul. 22, 2010

• My answer is exactly the same as darkfaery131. The only bad thing about the junk mail advertisments is that they are a one shot deal for the good price. But I've gotten ads for 3 different companies so far, so I've been covered up till now!
    imafuswb

Answer by imafuswb at 1:29 AM on Jul. 22, 2010

• I just use my check register to balance my checkbook.

I order checks from Walmart they are the cheapest I have found. http://www.walmartchecks.com/line.aspx?lineid=32
    Kari126

Answer by Kari126 at 7:57 AM on Jul. 22, 2010

• I use an Access database that I created. Can you use Open Office or Quicken?
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 8:46 AM on Jul. 22, 2010

• I order checks from anyplace that has a good coupon code. Bradford Exchange, Vista Print, Checks Unlimited, you can go to Retailmenot.com and type in those websites to search for the best coupon code at the time.
    customcat2000

Answer by customcat2000 at 9:20 AM on Jul. 22, 2010

• I use excel for my checking account; I buy check from www.checksunlimited.com

Answer by rkoloms at 9:48 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• Thanks ladies! I'll check out those sites when I go to order. I managed to find a Linux version of Quicken.
    Mrs.BAT

Comment by Mrs.BAT (original poster) at 11:22 PM on Jul. 30, 2010