so this is my first pregnancy. im 39 weeks, is sex ok?

i am dialated 1 cm. i just got cheacked with my OB and she can feel the babys head, hes dropped already... i want to have sex with my husband, but he is nervous, is it safe or not?

Mrs.Arias

Asked by Mrs.Arias at 2:01 AM on Jul. 22, 2010 in Pregnancy

• yeah it's safe...and your baby is full term so it may quicken the process up, but you won't hurt the baby
    aliishott2

Answer by aliishott2 at 2:02 AM on Jul. 22, 2010

• If you don't have a problem with a possibility of having your baby early and it doesn't feel uncomfortable for you go for it. I don't mean the act of sex should cause early delivery but the hormones you get from making love can. I enjoyed sex through my pregnancy but at 39 weeks I was too tender to want anything to do with it. So like I said if you don't feel uncomfortable then go for it.
    Gardiner.bug

Answer by Gardiner.bug at 2:04 AM on Jul. 22, 2010

• 39 weeks isn't early hahaha. before 37 weeks is early. 39 weeks the baby is fully cooked
    aliishott2

Answer by aliishott2 at 2:05 AM on Jul. 22, 2010

• @Gardiner.bug...39 weeks is not early delivery. Babies are considered full term at 37 weeks, 39 weeks is not early.

To the op, absolutely you can have sex. The baby is still protected by the amniotic sac, same as the rest of the pregnancy. Until your water breaks, he is safe and sound in there and well protected. The hormones in semen can actually help cervical ripening, hence how they say that sex can help induce labor. Sex is not a guarantee that you will go into labor right away, so don't worry about that, but it can help you body begin to prepare for labor. Ultimately though, having se will not put you into labor if your body and baby are not ready yet.
    Danielle720

Answer by Danielle720 at 2:09 AM on Jul. 22, 2010

• You're good to go as long as you find a position comfortable enough. As long as your water hasn't broken you're good to go.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 2:10 AM on Jul. 22, 2010

• If you'r comfortable and your water hasn't broke, go for it!
    ta2dirishlass

Answer by ta2dirishlass at 2:12 AM on Jul. 22, 2010

• Yes! Get it while you still can! lol

mrs_mac3

Answer by mrs_mac3 at 6:34 AM on Jul. 22, 2010

• If your Dr said its ok your fine!
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 8:52 AM on Jul. 22, 2010

• Completely safe! Sex can actually help move labor along. At 39 weeks, you are fine to deliver.. So start having sex. Orgasms can cause contractions, and male semen can cause your cervix to thin out.
    xxlilmomma09

Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 12:49 PM on Jul. 22, 2010