My son is 5 and 1/2 and my daughter is 2 and sleep in the same bed. Is this ok?

My son is ok with her being in bed with him ( as long as she doesn't crowd, steal blankets, or get up) and my daughter INSISTS on sleeping with him. She won't have it any other way. It all started when she came out of her crib about 4 months ago.they are very close and share everything and do everything together. My son is still in a toddler bed so there's no danger in her falling. I see no problem with it but my mom does. She never says specifically what, but I assume it has to do with gender. What do you think?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:30 AM on Jul. 22, 2010 in General Parenting

• Hmmm....... I'm honestly not sure what to think. Personally I can't say that I would allow that.
    stressedmomma13

Answer by stressedmomma13 at 2:31 AM on Jul. 22, 2010

• i dont think that is weird.. maybe theyre eachothers best friend

MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 2:32 AM on Jul. 22, 2010

• i dont think theres anything wrong with it...it may be a comfort thing for your daughter....however, i dont think i would allow it, evert night..once in a while sure, but thats it..
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 2:34 AM on Jul. 22, 2010

• as long as it doesnt last till they are teens i dont see a problem
    christina10140

Answer by christina10140 at 2:35 AM on Jul. 22, 2010

• I don't find it weird either. Personally I think it is adorable! They are still so little too!
    mom2twingirl797

Answer by mom2twingirl797 at 2:35 AM on Jul. 22, 2010

• The parenting books I've read from the experts and shrinks say that sexual thoughts aren't on a child's mind until they're in their tweens. My son knows what private parts are and not to touch anyone there or allow himself to be touched there. He's also VERY protective of his baby sister.
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 2:37 AM on Jul. 22, 2010

• anyone who has the idea that this is sexual is gross.... and im sure there will be people that say that
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 2:38 AM on Jul. 22, 2010

• They are still little, there is nothing wrong with it. I don't understand everyone trying to make something innocent seem bad or dirty or even questionable. My two year old ends up in her 6yr old brothers bed sometimes, he is her favorite person, he makes her laugh and pulls her in her wagon, watches videos with her, sleeping is just another activity to them at those ages. I just dont see the big deal. JMO
    texasmomma5

Answer by texasmomma5 at 2:47 AM on Jul. 22, 2010

• In order to say if it's wrong or not, I'd definitely need to see where it might go long term. At what point is it too much? When she's 5 and he's 8 1/2? When she's 8 and he's 11 1/2? When she's 11 and he's 14 1/2? When she's 14 and he's 17 1/2?

I realize that as they get older, this isn't something you'd allow... but I think you definitely need to have an idea in mind of how much is too much.

I personally would not feel comfortable doing this myself, but I don't feel you need to be talking to CPS or any such lunacy.
    tyheamma

Answer by tyheamma at 3:16 AM on Jul. 22, 2010

• my kids, the same age as op's, do.
    i think it's adults who assume that it's everything is dirty and sexual.
    my mil flips out when my 2 year old daughter goes more than 5 minutes without a shirt on... in the house.

we co-sleep though so it's not a big issue with us.

dd adores her brother and wants to be just like him.
    he is uber protective over her.
    mckomet

Answer by mckomet at 12:54 AM on Jul. 23, 2010