Did you cry on your child's first day of school?

I'm about to send my first child off to kindergarden and the thought of it just kills me. I want him to do well and make friends and learn and all, but I can't shake the feeling of someone being cruel, whether it be teacher or other student. You hear and see so much on the news. I myself was tortured some in school.

SweetLoveofMine

Asked by SweetLoveofMine at 2:33 AM on Jul. 22, 2010 in

• I know what you mean. My girls aren't there yet. But I almost want to cry just thinking about it. I have a 3 yr old and a 2 yr old. They are growing up so fast. I think I would cry on their first day of school. I would also want to stay the whole day and I would probably still cry. good luck
    Gardiner.bug

Answer by Gardiner.bug at 2:44 AM on Jul. 22, 2010

• My son will be starting preschool in August. I know it might not be a big thing, he only going for a couple of hours everyday. To me it is, he is my only child and like you I can't stand the thought of any body being mean to him. He is very outgoing, friendly, and independent. I think he's gonna make friends quick and be fine. As for me....I think I'll be the one bawling on his first day!!
    sylvia559

Answer by sylvia559 at 2:55 AM on Jul. 22, 2010

• Bawled like a BABY!! But I was very proud - I held it together until I was out of the room. He had a really hard time, which was unusual for him, so it was especially hard on me. With my 2nd I did very well the first day, but after that it was all downhill. SHE was the one I thought I would have trouble with on the first day, but she hugged me, said "bye mom" and that was it!! The next couple of months,however, was pretty painful and thank GOD her teacher was so awesome!! She had to physically restrain my daughter a few times to keep her in the room as I sobbed down the hallway and didn't turn back. THAT was heartwrenching, knowing she was in there crying and I wasn't the one comforting her. Honestly, it will probably be harder on you than it is on him. He'll probably do great - at that age most of the kids are pretty tolerant of each other.
    mama2000_1

Answer by mama2000_1 at 3:49 AM on Jul. 22, 2010

• Yeah. I cried the first time my daughter got on the bus, and when I took my son to his first day of preschool. I was proud of both kids, but my situation with my son was a little different~ he has special needs and like you, I worried about the typical kids saying something. I held it together until I got in the car and drove around the corner! I am glad to say that I worried for nothing!! The kids accepted him just fine!
    Robsmommy

Answer by Robsmommy at 8:03 AM on Jul. 22, 2010

• No way! It was a special time, but I didn't cry. I was just happy that my baby was entering a new world of academia.
    marlarrie

Answer by marlarrie at 11:38 AM on Jul. 22, 2010

• Yes, but just a few tears. It was shortly after my husband's death and it was just another one of those moments that was so sad that he wasn't there for ...
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 2:15 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• Yes...all day! And on the 12th I will be doing it again...my baby girl starts Kindergarten! :(
    motherofpearls

Answer by motherofpearls at 2:33 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• no i didn't cry when my son first started school. i was excited and so was he and now he's 14, i'm still exicted for him about school.
    shorty13417

Answer by shorty13417 at 5:24 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• Ugh... My oldest son starts Kindergarten in a few weeks too... I am a very emotional person, so I am guaranteed to cry. Hopefully I can keep it together until after I leave because he will get upset if he sees me cry. =( The schools down here (Florida) usually have something called a "Boo-Hoo" breakfast for all of the Kindergarten parents. LOL
    itsjaimiehere

Answer by itsjaimiehere at 8:49 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• No. She did very well after the first week. She cried for three days. She will be in Kindergarden this year.
    ArmyWife0105

Answer by ArmyWife0105 at 10:20 PM on Jul. 23, 2010