Would you let him?

My husband has always dreamt of being a Diesel Mechanic. he currently works in a truck shop but as a fueler. There is a mechanic opening that he may be able to get. It would mean a $3 or more an hour raise BUT it would also mean putting his job on the line.
See he doesn't have his HD or GED yet, he has been studying but hasn't quite gotten it. If he gets the promotion it would be with the stipulation that he has to have his GED in x amount of time, if not he could lose his job.
Obviously, if he does he would have to schedule his studying and make sure he does study no matter what.
My question is would you let your husband do it? Would you let him take a promotion knowing there was a risk that you could lose everything?

krystie-tina

Asked by krystie-tina at 2:40 AM on Jul. 22, 2010 in Money & Work

• how long has he been studying for his GED??
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 2:42 AM on Jul. 22, 2010

• oops i didnt mean to send that yet lol

yes id "let" hi do it.. if thats what he wants. just means he would need to set a goal to get his GED by a certain date and DO IT....
    MomNbabyGirl009

• That was what I was thinking. I'm just scurred is all. (and yes I meant it to be spelled like that) He has been studying off and on for 2 years now. He's a procrastinator. I'm worried he'll take it and we'll lose everything. We aren't in the position to lose it all right now. I know nobody ever is but we are so close to getting SS back. I just don't want to jeopardize that situation too. :(
    krystie-tina

Comment by krystie-tina (original poster) at 2:47 AM on Jul. 22, 2010

• Yes, I would do everything in my power to encourage my husband to follow his dreams and have the drive to make them a reality. Honestly, you'll lose far more if you help him hold himself back than if he tries and fails.
    tyheamma

Answer by tyheamma at 3:02 AM on Jul. 22, 2010

• well if they give him a while to take it and hes been studying for 2 years for it he should try right away.. or tomorrow and if he fails he can retake it.....

MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 3:03 AM on Jul. 22, 2010

• True to both of you. I know I should "let" him like I said I am just scared.
    BTW I only said let because he asked me. Just so everyone knows. I am not controlling him. He asked me cause he knows how important it is to me to feel secure.
    krystie-tina

Comment by krystie-tina (original poster) at 3:07 AM on Jul. 22, 2010

• The biggest gain comes with the biggest risk. We were in the same position. DH works for Union Pacific and was had a chance to move over to Amtrack. He's an engineer. I thought it was a great opportunity, better company, better hours, not necessarily more money right away but room for growth. Plus we could move anywhere in the Nation if we wanted too. He was so afraid of losing everything in the mean time due to lay offs that he did not take it. Always go for the gold ring.
    Esmrlda

Answer by Esmrlda at 6:49 PM on Jul. 22, 2010