how do i help my daughter with her numbers?? math help for a 6 yr old..i need some ideas!! please

she is not good with numbers..at all..she can count...but she doesnt recognize them if theyre written out..and she has a hard time writing them as well..and she struggles ALOT when its like...what comes before.. __, 16, 17. or what comes after 12, 13, __...or if i just ask her what comes after 4..she'll reply with 9 or something waaaay off..and when she is counting, she has to start at 1 everytime..she cant start from 10 or any other number...how do i help explain/teach her this stuff...shes gonna be in grade 1 in sept..her kindergarten teach. told her she really needs to work on this during the summer..and will most likely have a tutor in math in gr.1...but she still needs sooo much practice on it..so i got her some workbooks form walmart...but it is soooooooo stressfull..for her, and me...i try and make it fun, but she ends up in tears everytime, saying "i just dont know"...helpppppppppp!!!!!!!!!!! please!!

alexis_06

Asked by alexis_06 at 2:45 AM on Jul. 22, 2010 in General Parenting

• Also, try card games. Go fish, uno, or any simple game with cards and numbers. Dice games, junior monopoly, anything like that. Just don't talk about the math part of it. Just play the game, and help her when she has a problem. If you can teach her that math is fun, that'll help a lot. Math doesn't have to be scary, frustrating, or intimidating. Good luck!
    bluejupalex

Answer by bluejupalex at 6:33 AM on Jul. 22, 2010

• Workbooks
    sherribeare

Answer by sherribeare at 2:46 AM on Jul. 22, 2010

• I help my DS with math with dice. We started with the 1-6, then started going up to the larger dice that you can find at gaming stores. It's fun for him because he gets to throw the dice, but then we work out the answers he needs help with together. He did 1-6, then 0-9 dice, now he's on 1-12 dice.
    yo_ho

Answer by yo_ho at 2:49 AM on Jul. 22, 2010

• Find something she likes, like Mickey Mouse, Dora, Hanna Montana, and try using numbers with them. Her teacher should have some ideas too, she's trained on the subject. If she's having trouble with letters too and words, I would look into a possible learning disability. Good luck.
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 2:59 AM on Jul. 22, 2010

• My daughter had the same problem and to top it all off she also some behavioral issues so anything that stresses her will set her off. What I did was while we were in the car or at the store or just sitting around I would say a number and then ask her what she thought came either before or after it. Even when she was waaayyyy off I would say," Close, its ____." and I would start with the lower numbers and work up to the bigger ones. Eventually she began to get it right everytime, but she wasn't stressed cause she felt it was a game, like I SPY, or something. Also we would play I SPY with numbers, I would say "I spy the number 4" in group of numbers and gradually she began to recognize them. I found they learn better if they don't know they are doing it. I hope this help at least a little.
    ceemeefeemee

Answer by ceemeefeemee at 3:00 AM on Jul. 22, 2010

• does se have trouble reading?

is there something with numbers like there is with reading.... crap i just lost the word.... u know, where they get letters mixed up and stuff...

what is THAT CALLED?!?!
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 3:02 AM on Jul. 22, 2010

• DYSLEXIC!! lol

is there a disease like this for numbers??
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 3:04 AM on Jul. 22, 2010

• I agree with ceemeefeemee. Games is the way to go. I know one thing that helped me was playing war, the card game where you each get half of a deck (or a deck each) and whoever has the higher card wins. We played a modified version in 4th and 5th grade where you had to say what they added up to our multiplied (depending on what we were working on) to win. Both have helped me a lot with my math skills.
    tyheamma

Answer by tyheamma at 3:12 AM on Jul. 22, 2010

• We played lots of number games. DD's favorite was on car trips. She'd ask how long till we get there, and I'd estimate a time, say 10 minutes. I'd have her look at the clock and tell me what time that means we'd be wherever we're going. She'd tell me the time, then it was my job to get us there at EXACTLY that time. If I made it at the exact time, I won. (Of course, that almost never happened. lol) If she won, she got a trip to the ice cream store, the park, or something else fun. By playing that game as a preschooler, DD knew telling time inside out. She learned to manipulate numbers like crazy. She had a rough patch with math for a few years, but now she's back on track. SHE tutored ME last year when I had to take a math entrance exam to go back to college!

That's another idea; ask your DD to teach YOU how to work with numbers. Teaching someone else is a great way to learn.
    bluejupalex

Answer by bluejupalex at 6:28 AM on Jul. 22, 2010