How can I get my picky 2 year old to eat more?

My son just turned 2 and he is very picky. It is hard for me some days to even get him to eat one full meal. I usually just give in to what ever he asks for for snacks because I always just think at least he is eating something. But I worry that he is going to develop some very unhealthy eating habits if I don't figure out something soon. He refuses most vegetables and a lot of fruits. About the only things he will eat are pb&j, mac and cheese, spaghetti and ramen and a few other things. Anyways I guess I'm just hoping you ladies might have some kid friendly meals or healthy snack ideas that he might like. Thanks in advance for all of your answers =)

jaredsmommy222

Asked by jaredsmommy222 at 2:58 AM on Jul. 22, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I don't believe in picky eaters. You eat what I give you or you don't eat. They are not going to starve to death. I broke my DD of that real quick. Took less than 3 days for her to eat everything I put in front of her. (yes, she did eat other things in the meantime). Also, if she starts being picky every now & again, I make her eat at least 3 bites before she can be excused from the table.
    stressedmomma13

Answer by stressedmomma13 at 3:11 AM on Jul. 22, 2010

• well have in the fridge apples grapes strawberries carrots etc cut and ready hide all the snacks and stuff he likes when he gets hungry and just want to munch on stuff ignore him and tell him theres fruit ..he then realizes ur not giving up and then he will end up eating whats there..
    OR eat healthy snacks in front of him and he will comre around
    Leilene07

Answer by Leilene07 at 3:23 AM on Jul. 22, 2010

• My mom would sneak veggies (zucchini) in spaghetti sauce. Try having him help you cook, he may want to eat it if he helped. Ants on a log are fun, they're celery sticks with peanut butter and raisins to make the ants. Try making food fun like that maybe?
    Ashlynnsmommy07

Answer by Ashlynnsmommy07 at 3:34 AM on Jul. 22, 2010

• Stop making eating such a big deal and they will eat. It's a game right now. Put food in front of them at meal time and don't talk about eating at all.
    sherribeare

Answer by sherribeare at 6:00 AM on Jul. 22, 2010

• I basically ignored it when my daughter went through that phase. The rule of the house was that she had to eat one bite of everything on her plate. If she didn't eat her meal, that was fine, but she wasn't allowed between meal snacks. I didn't make a big deal of it - just reminded her of the rule and let her leave the table if she didn't want to eat. When she wanted a snack, I just reminded her that she didn't eat her dinner, so no snack.

Kids won't starve to death, and if they get hungry enough, they WILL eat. What's the point of letting them eat junk food? It might satisfy their hunger, but it won't sustain them. The good news is - that approach must have worked. She's now in culinary school, and she'll try anything once. She only eats junk food as a last resort, and she'd MUCH rather have a real meal.
    bluejupalex

Answer by bluejupalex at 6:12 AM on Jul. 22, 2010

• To try to get kids to eat veggies, try this. Steam veggies (broccoli, cauliflower, etc), then put a cheese sauce over them. Even better, roast veggies. Broccoli, cauliflower, brussel sprouts, asparagus, and more are delicious this way. Cut them up, put in a baking dish in a single layer. Slice fresh garlic and sprinkle over the veggies. Zest a lemon and sprinkle over them; sprinkle some olive oil on top. Salt and pepper, then roast in a 400* oven till tender (stirring occasionally). (Time will be different depending on type of veg and how it's cut.) Usually about 30 minutes, but just watch them. When they're tender (not mushy), take them out and squeeze fresh lemon juice on top. The high heat caramelizes the veggies, and they are DELICIOUS. I can't blame kids for not eating a lot of the veggies that are available. They're mushy and tasteless. This might work, but don't force it. Just ask them to try it.
    bluejupalex

Answer by bluejupalex at 6:20 AM on Jul. 22, 2010

• And I just had another idea. LOL Try taking him to a Japanese restaurant - where they cook in front of you. Those guys are so entertaining, kids love it. My daughter and our friends' 3 sons LOVE eating at the Japanese restaurant. Be sure to ask the chef to do a volcano for your son!
    bluejupalex

Answer by bluejupalex at 6:36 AM on Jul. 22, 2010