Cheerleading is not a sport!!

http://www.myfoxphoenix.com/dpp/sports/cheerleaders-flip-over-ruling-7-21-2010
pretty much it says
PHOENIX - A federal judge has ruled that an East Coast college cannot call cheerleading a legitimate sport, citing gender equality in collegiate athletics.
Members of cheer teams have suffered blown out knees and fractured ankles while they're flipping and twisting and landing.

A federal judge ruled that cheerleading is not a sport and doesn't qualify as a sport under Title IX. That's upsetting for these kids, because some are seeking a scholarship to college based on their skills.

Title IX has a few requirements for sports: the sport must have coaches, practices and competitions during a set season -- the cheerleaders argue their sport meets these criteria.

do you consider it a sport?
isnt cheerleading one of the most dangerous activities or "sports"?

MomNbabyGirl009

Asked by MomNbabyGirl009 at 3:00 AM on Jul. 22, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I say cheerleading is a sport and will say this because they have to train and work out to build up all there muscles in there bodies because they will use them. i also look at cheerleading just like gymnastics. they are very similar as in the both do jumps and stunts and have to do the same kind of work out to get trained and fit
    magnane

Answer by magnane at 3:05 AM on Jul. 22, 2010

• I absolutely consider it a sport if it's like the squads that compete and whatnot. However, cheerleaders at all the schools around here I would not call athletes at all. It would take an act of divine intervention for one of them to get out of breath, let alone injured. They basically stand beside the court/field and wave pom poms and shout. If they're actually being active and doing things like flips, cartwheels, herkies, splits, dancing, etc., then I would call it a sport.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 3:08 AM on Jul. 22, 2010

• I'm sure there are those out there who "hate" cheerleaders and refuse to think intelligent people can be cheerleaders. However these people have NO idea the HOURS of practice and competitions that go into this SPORT. When I was a cheerleader we lifted not only weights but the weight of an ENTIRE person above our heads!!! I'd love to see some cheer bashers do that. Above all of the time in practice, the weight room, and competitions, I maintained a 3.7 GPA (WAAYYY back when 4.0 was the TOP), a job, and a boyfriend. Our saluditorian of the class was a cheerleader (the validictorian was a guy), along with 8 of the top 15 of the class!!! So yes, it IS a sport and furthermore there certainly SHOULD be scholarships for those who compete!!!
    mama2000_1

Answer by mama2000_1 at 3:10 AM on Jul. 22, 2010

• i don't think it is a sport because sports are competitive. there is something to be won when you play a sport. yes there are cheerleading competitions but there are also dance competitions. you may have to be physically fit and it may be dangerous but you're not going head to head against an opponent so imo that disqualifies it from being a sport
    aliishott2

Answer by aliishott2 at 3:11 AM on Jul. 22, 2010

• I played soccer, softball and ran track and completely think cheerleading is a sport. Those girls ran more laps then we ever did, did a lot more things then I would ever volunteer to do and did it all with a smile. At least we were allowed to look angry and intimidating.
    misunderstood1

Answer by misunderstood1 at 3:11 AM on Jul. 22, 2010

• just because they take turns being on the spot? ok... golf, considered a sport, they take turns on the tee....

and i have always wondered why poker and pool is on espn as a "sport"
    MomNbabyGirl009

Comment by MomNbabyGirl009 (original poster) at 3:12 AM on Jul. 22, 2010

• Yea, it is a sport. They have coaches, daily practices, competitions, etc. They also have cheer-leading up to the national level (NFL). Maybe that judge has never watch the competitions on ESPN which is "number 1 leader in SPORTS" actually lists it as a sport on their site. lol Well if thats how they want to be then Gymnastics, Fencing, Equestrian, and a shit ton of other Olympic sports can't be sports either.
    Crissy1213

Answer by Crissy1213 at 3:17 AM on Jul. 22, 2010

• I'm going to get attacked for this I know it, but who cares. No I don't think it is a sport. Yes I'm sure it is hard. I'm sure they give it a lot of work, but I think it is more like music. Performing you know. Music, Drama, etc. Not sports. I played basketball, Volleyball, Foot ball, and did wrestling. They want to play competitive sports, then play actually sports, but don't perform and call it a sport. P.S I was also in drama and chorus, I didn't call it sports.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 3:25 AM on Jul. 22, 2010

• Yes it is a sport! They are very much athletes. I still laugh that poker is considered a sport!
    Ashlynnsmommy07

Answer by Ashlynnsmommy07 at 3:27 AM on Jul. 22, 2010

• hotmama you could be overweight and out of shape to be in those activities in order to succeed in cheerleading yu have to be in shape fit and be able to throw people in the air have a lot of muscle tone...
    MomNbabyGirl009

Comment by MomNbabyGirl009 (original poster) at 3:36 AM on Jul. 22, 2010