how do i get my daughter over every piece of clothing i put on her hurts

kymom31

Asked by kymom31 at 1:31 AM on Oct. 2, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• She may have ADD... I suggest reading this article:

http://www.add.org/articles/hypersen.html

AvasMommy810

Answer by AvasMommy810 at 1:44 AM on Oct. 2, 2008

• Try not to play into her "it hurts me" attitude. Then after you put it on her try and distract her with an activity right away.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 2:13 AM on Oct. 2, 2008

• Check with the tag.... My son's sensory issue causes any tagged clothing to "hurt" him. Ask where it hurts, look it over with her, if there is something there, see if it can be removed, if not, ask if it would be ok to cover up. Some of my son's favorite shirts have large stitches that he says "hurts" when he wears them, so he wears a simple tank top under the one that causes him "pain" and he is fine. I always have on hand plain under shirts and all new shirts get their tags clipped. He hardly complains about a shirt hurting him.... Pants, those are another matter and we are still trying to find ways to even his comfort level.
    Mi_Chelly

Answer by Mi_Chelly at 2:57 AM on Oct. 2, 2008

• I guess there could be a sensory issue, but I know that that's not the case with my daughter, because she only has this issue with clothes that she doesn't like, and once someone ELSE says "You look really pretty in that," WHAM, it doesn't hurt anymore.

Finally, I told her that every time she whines about the clothes I pick out, she can't wear a dress for a week. (She LOVES wearing dresses.) Just find out what your kid LIKES to wear, and use that as incentive.
    BigMommaJesca

Answer by BigMommaJesca at 1:55 PM on Oct. 2, 2008

• Let her dress herself and choose the clothes from those you've bought - and therefore preapproved of. Unless she has sensory issues like ADD/ADHD, something along the autism spectrum, Aspberger's syndrome, or something else like this there is no reason her clothes should hurt. If she does have these issues they need to be addressed. Otherwise, letting her grow up so that mom isn't putting clothes on her anymore may do the trick.
    GrowingMama

Answer by GrowingMama at 12:55 AM on Oct. 3, 2008

• I agree with BigMomJesca. Little girls are really good at finding ways to get what they want. I have 2 daughters that have always tried to pull this with me. Right now my 10 year old dd won't wear jeans. Yeah, right, like I'm going to let her wear sweats to school everyday. My 5 y/o dd gets to pick out her top and panties every day and I match them to pants and shoes. It's win/win. She gets to wear what she wants, and I make sure she matches.
    bdotmom

Answer by bdotmom at 10:18 AM on Oct. 3, 2008

• I also have kids who are sensitive about clothing. My daughter goes crazy over itchy tags, and my son goes through phases like being scared of bugs, so he won't wear anything with a bug on it! I have learned to have them try on any new clothing before I wash it. If the kids have a problem with an item, I return it (or take it to resale, if it can't be returned). This is far easier than fighting with them about what they wear.

bdotmom: my daughter's old school didn't allow jeans, so I'm accustomed to the many alternatives besides ugly sweat pants. You might try buying her khaki pants, corduroys, cargo pants, or capri pants in various fabrics. She will look cute and maybe you can avoid a battle.
    yarnjunkie

Answer by yarnjunkie at 12:21 PM on Oct. 3, 2008

• Both myself and my middle daughter have eczema, a skin condition that causes serious itchiness. The clothing may actually hurt her, I would talk to the doctor and see if there is anything medically wrong. If it's not medical, they you have to start "training" her to like clothes...some kids just don't like clothes.
    RenaeMom3277

Answer by RenaeMom3277 at 8:07 AM on Oct. 8, 2008