Pregnant... when to tell our families?

I really don't want to tell our families for a few months. It's our second child and I really just want to enjoy being pregnant without the pressure of having to deal with family asking about it all the time. I also don't want to hear about how 'right now isn't the right time'. We're adults and we made the decision to have a baby now. Intentionally. I don't feel like I owe anyone an explanation... I just feel like it would be easier to leave it alone for a little while. I was thinking of telling everyone at about 4 or 5 months. Maybe even 6.
Or am I obligated to tell everyone now?
Thoughts?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:00 AM on Jul. 22, 2010 in Pregnancy

• you're not obligated to tell anyone til you're ready...i just hope you can hide the pregnancy that long w/o showing
    aliishott2

Answer by aliishott2 at 6:02 AM on Jul. 22, 2010

• Decide with your husband what you both are comfortable with and go with that. I agree that it's a long 9 months with everyone asking about it constantly. Do what is best for you and don't feel any obligation to let others know any sooner than you want to. Best wishes.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:37 AM on Jul. 22, 2010

• I usually never tell anyone I'm pregnant until I'm showing (or when I think I'm showing, around 4-5 months). I have 4 now and I get the "another one?" looks and questions all the time so I just don't bother telling early anymore. And there is nothing wrong with that. Tell when you are ready. One thing about pregnancies, news gets out eventually, it's just a matter of when.
    keisha613

Answer by keisha613 at 7:38 AM on Jul. 22, 2010

• Whenever you feel comfortable is the best time. However, I'd do it before you give birth. :P Though my brother-in-law and sister-in-law once told the family (their fourth kid, they have six) on Christmas morning "Oh we are expecting another kid. Due next month." *Jaws dropped everywhere* She hid it very well.
    kuriequinn

Answer by kuriequinn at 7:45 AM on Jul. 22, 2010

• ROFL Kurieguinn!! That's amazing!

I was planning on telling my fam at 3 months, but when DH's dad had a heart attack, DH wanted him to know.. just in case. So, the cat was out of the bag at like... 15 weeks?? ugh.

My next one, I plan on preparing my family when I take my IUD out (my first I told my fam we were trying).

That way they can get over gossiping about me before the babies due... LOL..
    MomtoElliett

Answer by MomtoElliett at 8:30 AM on Jul. 22, 2010

• Tell them only after your showing!!! There is never a "right time" to have a child in this economy!!! Unless your a millionaire!! Enjoy being preggo and tell them only after you start to show!
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 8:50 AM on Jul. 22, 2010

• Whenever you feel comfortable is the right time! I told everyone right away last time but next pregnancy I think I'm going to wait till closer to 12 weeks to tell the fam
    reagabismom

Answer by reagabismom at 10:10 AM on Jul. 22, 2010

• Tell them when you're ready. I waited three months before telling anyone.
    Cassandre

Answer by Cassandre at 10:49 AM on Jul. 22, 2010

• You can tell them whenever you want. Maybe come up with a creative way of telling them so that when they start naysaying, maybe they'll feel bad since you're so excited that you even took the time to come up with a fun way of letting them know.

Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 11:26 AM on Jul. 22, 2010

• you dont have to tell them till you are ready the only reason i told my fam right away is found out i was having twins
    devinalexis

Answer by devinalexis at 11:52 AM on Jul. 22, 2010