Is it ok that I am not excited to be pregnant?

My husband and I just found out we are having our fourth baby. We have an 11 y/o, 8y/o and a 6 y/o. We decided a few months ago that my husband would get a vasectomy and we would be done with babies until our girls have give us grandkids. I am not excited like I was with the other kids. I know that I will love this child, I am just not happy about it.

mrs_mac3

Asked by mrs_mac3 at 6:40 AM on Jul. 22, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Maybe as time goes on you will get more excited.
    mollgirl

Answer by mollgirl at 6:42 AM on Jul. 22, 2010

• Absolutely, it's OK. It's your body, after all!! I was not excited about our second child, either. I dreaded the whole pregnancy! and you're right, you will love this baby once she/he is here.
    MommaofH2

Answer by MommaofH2 at 6:43 AM on Jul. 22, 2010

• Makes me wonder how many other are in the same situation. I know i was due to him never wanting to be anything to us except the chaffeur and Mr. hot stuff. I am blaming my self for not getting a more understanding fatherly type of dad now our children see his "I'm the only great thing in this world" egotistical attitude. I always felt and knew these children were his link to entitlement in life. REALLY SAD.. Things aren't going well when you see it as now happening to you, don't know your whole situation. But if it's not exiting in real life the pregnancy does continue that course, get around positive REALLY helpful, and REALLY supportive ones in this time period, I'll certainly be praying for you. . . Talk to the counselors at the maternal clinic you attend. They'll lend a good ear. They are trained to do all areas of health and it covers '''emotional''''.
    coffeeyum

Answer by coffeeyum at 7:11 AM on Jul. 22, 2010

• Perfectly understandable. In time I hope you come to be happy about it. I hope your children get excited about it too! My last child turned out to be one of the most caring and compassionate persons I have ever met. And I had originally discussed with my husband to not have another. God works in mysterious ways. Best wishes to you!
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:26 AM on Jul. 22, 2010

• *hugs* you should have seen how upset I got when I found out I was pregnant with my daughter! I was NOT happy! wasn't until I found out she was a girl, since we have 3 boys before her.

I think it's a normal reaction to surprise pregnancy.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:40 AM on Jul. 22, 2010

• With our 3rd I felt like that. We had said after the second one that we were done and DH said he "would get fixed" well he was a little late on that one and we ended up with number 3. Although now I have no idea what we would do without the little guy lol
    fallnangel3

Answer by fallnangel3 at 7:48 AM on Jul. 22, 2010

• Its fine your not excited. I was very excited with my first, and very upset with my 2nd as I had just gotten down to a size 8 after my first child where I gained over 100 lbs, so being told I was preggo again depressed and scared me. I only gained 33 lbs with the second, but I put on over 60 AFTER I had him. I got excited near the end of the 2nd. Not everyone is happy to be preggo.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 8:49 AM on Jul. 22, 2010

• Well it's ok to not be excited. I know you planned for him to get a vasectomy, but it doesn't say if he did or not yet. if not it's a good time to go get it done. You'll get used to the idea of being pregnant eventually. Maybe you'll be more excited when you hear the heartbeating or when you see the little one inside via U/S. Good luck!!!
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 8:49 AM on Jul. 22, 2010

• My Husband and I were just talking about this yesterday. My first pregnancy I was devastated because I did not want kids period and we were so young (20). Birth control failed me. My second pregnancy I was SO happy. I was at a point in my life when I was ready for a baby. My third pregnancy I was not very happy because my husband and I had just gotten back together after being separated. I was afraid people would think that I got pregnant to get him back. Then I found out TWINS which had me that much more upset. The pregnancy helped us to heal and reunite. I am just glad I found out AFTER we reconciled.
    kc932

Answer by kc932 at 10:39 AM on Jul. 22, 2010

• You're perfectly normal. I was unhappy during my whole pregnancy, but I'm happy now to have my daughter. Might be time to bring up the vasectomy discussion again with your husband.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 12:18 PM on Jul. 22, 2010