Universal Healthcare

What do you think of Universal healthcare?
The US has one of the higher reates of infant and maternal mortaility for industralized countries. We need some work.

maggiebella25

Asked by maggiebella25 at 7:44 AM on Jul. 22, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I love it.  I've had it all my life and wouldn't live anywhere that doesn't have it.  I never have to worry about if  I can afford to see a doctor or not and I don't have to wait for approval for treatment. If I have a problem, I pick up the phone and make an appointment and never have to think twice about it.  It's not a perfect system but it's better than not having any health care at all.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 7:58 AM on Jul. 22, 2010

• The US doesn't have the highest rate. They are just the only honest ones on the issue.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 7:55 AM on Jul. 22, 2010

• Carpy is right. You need to know how the data is reported and collected. Here is a paper explaining the national differences:

Don't Fall Prey to Propaganda: Life Expectancy and Infant Mortality are Unreliable Measures for Comparing the U.S. Health Care System to Others

http://www.nationalcenter.org/NPA547ComparativeHealth.html

mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 10:22 AM on Jul. 22, 2010

• In case you don't want to read the whole thing, here is the conclusion:

Conclusion

Life expectancy and infant mortality are wholly inadequate comparative measures for health care systems.  Life expectancy is influenced by a host of factors other than a health care system, while infant mortality is measured inconsistently across nations.  Neither of these measures provides the United States with conclusive guidance on health care policy, let alone serve as reliable evidence that a system of universal health care "should be implemented in the United States."24

mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 10:26 AM on Jul. 22, 2010

• I think it's great. Our system isn't perfect, but I wouldn't want to give it up either.
    Bezu

Answer by Bezu at 8:41 AM on Jul. 22, 2010

• The US is too large of a nation to take on UHC.... WHO is going to pay for it? What care are YOU willing to lose? What care can you deal with being rationed? There is no logical way the US (at the size it is) can take on UHC without severe sacrifices...

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 12:40 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• Since we aren't getting universal health care, it's a moot point.
    MunchMunch

Answer by MunchMunch at 9:37 AM on Jul. 22, 2010

• Universal healthcare isn't going to change that if it is true. What Obama care will do is make you poor make me poor and make our Country poor. Oh and it will give the government a hell of a lot of power it shouldn't have.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 9:58 AM on Jul. 22, 2010