• In the Spotlight:

How do I help my 4 yr old deal with her great grandmas death?

My daughters were very close with their great g-ma and she has recently passed away. How do I help my 4 year old with this? I wasn't planning on taking them to calling hours/funeral.

Kdance1

Asked by Kdance1 at 8:02 AM on Jul. 22, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I had a son pass away a little over 3 years ago and my oldest son was 7 at the time, which I know is quite a bit older than your daughter but I thought I would respond anyways. Its amazeing how well kids deal with death of a loved one...I supose its still the innocence in them. I explained to my son that his brother was in heaven with Jesus and was happy~running free and playing. I dont know the situation on her grandmas death but maybe you could explain that she aint sick or tiard or hurting anymore. THant grandma went to heaven and is watching over her as a angel. She will be sad of course but kids bounce back fast. Good Luck and God Bless!
    momof5tobe

Answer by momof5tobe at 8:10 AM on Jul. 22, 2010

• If you have a picture of just the two of them together, get it blown up to 8x10 size and let her pick out a frame for it to hang in her room.
    Be prepared to answer questions on down the road too. My daughter was 3 when her grandfather passed and they were really close, she just loved him so much. She got a little upset when we told her, and for a while would ask where he was when we'd go to MIL's house. We just had to keep reminding her. About a year later, she would ask more about what happened. Just answer her questions when she asks them.
    Don't mention anything about her being sick or just going to sleep, that could make your daughter really afraid of falling asleep or getting sick herself.
    When your daughter brings her up, share good stories, good times they had together and just talk about it.
    It's hard, but kids seem to take it better than adults. Good luck.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 9:26 AM on Jul. 22, 2010

• There are some great books that help and answer questions with a child in mind.
    What's Heaven - Maria Shriver
    I Miss you- Pat Thomas
    When your Grandparent Dies- Victoria Ryan
    Ask the Reference Librarian in the Juvenile area of your library. Read them before sharing them with your child as you know best how she will respond to the books. Books are marvelous with such a sensitive subject.
    Bless you

Librarylady60

Answer by Librarylady60 at 9:37 AM on Jul. 22, 2010

• tell her they are in a safe happy place and that they are looking after her and love her.
    Luvmyfamily23

Answer by Luvmyfamily23 at 1:24 PM on Jul. 22, 2010