What is a good schedule for an 18 month old?

My son is a very rambunctious little boy. He is full of energy and is constantly on the go. You'd think he'd wear himself out and he'd be easy to put down for a nap and bed, but he's not. We had a schedule when he was younger. He'd wake up between 7-8am, breakfast around 8:30, snack around 10-10:30, lunch around 12:30-1, nap time after lunch for 2 hours, snack when he woke up, dinner at 5, bedtime at 7. But for the past couple of months, he hasn't been wanting to stick to any type of schedule. I try to put him down for a nap, and he never wants to fall asleep. He's even harder to put to bed. I would like to put him on some sort of a schedule again, but I don't really know what is an appropriate schedule for a toddler. Any input or advice you have would be greatly appreciated! Thanks

AMZF812

Asked by AMZF812 at 8:41 AM on Jul. 22, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Bump, cuz I'm having the same problem.
    MomtoElliett

Answer by MomtoElliett at 8:44 AM on Jul. 22, 2010

• My son wakes up around 6-6:30am, then he eats breakfast around 7ish, snack at 9:30-10, lunch 11:30-12:30, nap anywhere from 12-1 for about 2 hours, snack when he wakes up, dinner at 5:30, snack at 7, and bed at 7:30-8:00. Playtimes and activities are all in between, but none of those are really scheduled.

If he is sleeping 12-13 hrs at night he just might not be tired. Maybe it is time to keep him up a little later?
    khanek82

Answer by khanek82 at 9:26 AM on Jul. 22, 2010

• My 20 month old has pretty much the same schedule you describe above (except we've extended his bedtime to 7:30 since it stays light out so late now) and it works well for us. You just have to find something that works for him and your family, but keeping him up a little later might not be a bad idea.

Answer by missanc at 9:31 AM on Jul. 22, 2010

• The schedule I desribed was his OLD schedule. That's not the schedule he's on anymore. Right now, we TRY to put him to sleep around 7:30, but he normally doesn't fall asleep until 9pm, and he is ALWAYS up by 6am. So he's only sleeping 9 hours a night, and still acts like he doesn't want to nap or go to bed.
    AMZF812

Comment by AMZF812 (original poster) at 9:58 AM on Jul. 22, 2010

• If he doesn't need as much sleep as he used to, you can go to war with him and he still won't need as much sleep as he used to.

Kids this age are often afflicted by AMS syndrome: afraid of missing stuff. If your house is active, busy, noisy (tv is enough) throughout the evening when you're expecting him to sleep, you're probably keeping him awake. Couple that with a diminished need for sleep from his slowed growth rate, and you have a fight on your hands 100% of the time you want him to sleep before he's tired.

Two things can help a lot: get 'adult time' in the mornings either before he's awake or while he's busy amusing himself and well-rested, so you don't get wrapped up in the cultural 'grown ups don't need to sleep' nonsense, and; shut down your house at bedtime so it's a restful place without activity.

If you're following a busy little guy all day, I bet you could do with earlier nights and more sleep every night
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 12:20 PM on Jul. 22, 2010