my daughter is nine months and needs a lead test and hemoglobin test

What is the procedure for a baby that young?

samantha21385

Asked by samantha21385 at 8:47 AM on Jul. 22, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I know at a year they take it out of their arm like they do for an adult. It may be the same for your baby,,so sorry!

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 8:49 AM on Jul. 22, 2010

• It breaks my heart everytime she needs any kind of needle in her. She looks right up at me and cries. I feel so bad.
    samantha21385

Comment by samantha21385 (original poster) at 8:51 AM on Jul. 22, 2010

• They just prick their heel or finger for the test.  It doesn't hurt much.  My youngest didn't even cry when they did hers.

justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 8:54 AM on Jul. 22, 2010

• The proper technique is to use a butterfly needle on the top of the hand. It's a very fine needle. Try to have her nursing or taking the bottle at the time and she may not even notice it. It may leave a bruise especially if the person is not an experienced phlebotomist.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 8:56 AM on Jul. 22, 2010

• they usually just prick the finger or the heel..my baby was anemic and had this done daily or several times a day..now its only once a month but she has to take iron and calcuim daily...good luck and yes it is hard to watch them cry..
    jorjiegirl

Answer by jorjiegirl at 8:59 AM on Jul. 22, 2010

• I have a total cry baby and she didn't even care when the pricked he finger and squeezed out a half a vile of blood. I was really surprised how much blood they need. I have heard from other moms that it is way less stressful and painfull than a blood draw with a needle
    Fordmomma

Answer by Fordmomma at 9:23 AM on Jul. 22, 2010

• The heel sticks are not as accurate, but that is what they initially did with both my kids. When the lead came back elevated on the heel stick for my oldest they did a blood draw in the arm. It really wasn't that bad as long as he was nursing while they did it. he had to have it done every 6 months until he was 3 years old to make sure it went down and stayed down.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 10:49 AM on Jul. 22, 2010