has anyone's child ever had a lazy eye

My daughter has been going cross eyed every now and then lately. We are starting to notice that its only with one is. She is nine months old. The doctor said to give it four more weeks and call her if it hasn't fixed on its own. She said she would then have to refer her to an eye doctor and she may need a patch. Has this ever happened to anyone's child?

samantha21385

Asked by samantha21385 at 8:50 AM on Jul. 22, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I was told that because a baby doesn't have a nose bridge, it's common for them to 'look' cross-eyed when they really aren't. I KNEW something was wrong with my child's eye and for three years I took her from eye doctor to eye doctor and they all told me there was nothing wrong with her eyes and made me feel crazy. Finally, I took her to a pediatric opthamologist- who deals with eye diseases- not just prescribes glasses and he right away knew what was wrong with her. She had no depth perception and also what is called esotropia- her eye turned in. Finally! I had found someone who could help me! She didn't have to wear a patch, but she did wear glasses for a few years- strong on one side and weak on the other to strengthen the 'lazy' eye and now, she sees perfectly fine.

Don't let doctors tell you there is nothing wrong- go with your gut and get second, third, sixth opinion...

IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 9:01 AM on Jul. 22, 2010

• It happened to my son. He had several eye problems though. The lazy eye was one. It did fix itself by the time he was 1, but there was talk about patches. My oldest daughter had it too, but it was gone before she was 3 months.  I am a bit surprised that the Dr. waited this long to do something about it.  After about 4 months if lazy eye doesn't correct on it's own they need to see a specialist.

sunshine06

Answer by sunshine06 at 9:03 AM on Jul. 22, 2010

• Yes, Our adopted daughter was born with crossed eyes which were corrected surgically but she still had what is called a lazy eye. (one that kinda wanders rather then staying focused on what is being looked at) The patch is usually put on the good eye and helps to strengthen the "lazy one" and kind of force it to work properly. Sometimes even after that, a child will need glasses. Our youngest has had glasses since about age 2 for the same thing....a lazy eye and our adopted daughter has also had glasses from an early age. An eye dr. will be able to determine what will best help to correct it. Don't worry, your daughter will be fine and if it turns out, she will need glasses....well they have some really really cute ones for small children....and wearing them, if she needs them, will make her a happier child as she will be able to see properly.
    meriana

Answer by meriana at 9:03 AM on Jul. 22, 2010

• I don't have a child with a lazy eye, but I do know how you can help your daughter. Let her play with toys that increase hand eye coordination - such as toys that let her put shapes into holes or even put a waterproof toy in a bowl of water and let her try to grab it. These types of play are not only fun for her, but will also strengthen the muscles in her eyes.
    neebug3766

Answer by neebug3766 at 9:06 AM on Jul. 22, 2010

• My niece; she had an inherited condition from her father and eventually required surgery on that eye. I agree with the pp that this should have been addressed before now; ask for the referral now (if you need one), find another Dr. to give you the referral, or contact the pediatric ophthalmologist yourself if your insurance does not require a referral.
    happytexasCM

Answer by happytexasCM at 9:21 AM on Jul. 22, 2010

• Thank you everyone. I am concerned about it. I'm not sure if I should just listen to the doctor and wait four weeks before I get the referal or do it on my own.
    samantha21385

Comment by samantha21385 (original poster) at 9:38 AM on Jul. 22, 2010

• My son had to have 2 surgeries to pull the muscle to aline the eye properly. 1st surgery at age 5 y/o, the next at about 7 y/o. Please continue to patch the "good eye" during this process to strenghten the eye/eye muscle. Had our Dr. advised this, my son may not be legally blind in that eye now. (early warning signs were also missed), but something as simple as patching can make a big difference. Good luck!
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 9:46 AM on Jul. 22, 2010

• My daughter does. It was so slight we didn't diagnose her until 5 yrs old. She is also far-sighted with her right eye being weaker than her left. She wears glasses all the time. We patch her strong eye 2 hrs a day. It's done a tremendous amount of good for her. At her 3 month recheck, her right eye was still measurably weaker even with the glasses on. At her 6 month recheck, though, she has equal vision in both eyes with her glasses which means, the combination of patching and the glasses is helping her weak eye strengthen. We go back again in November for a 12 month recheck. If the progress continues, her eye doctor said she can be done with the patch at that point if she keeps the glasses on. DD loves her glasses now. We had to get the cushion replaced at the bridge of her nose on her pair yesterday. The 15 minutes they were off so the lady could fix them, Meg kept complaining about wanting them back on her face. :)
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 9:59 AM on Jul. 22, 2010

• It is very common for infants to go crosseyed or have wandering eyes when they're young. This is due to their eyes learning to adjust, learning to focus, and learning to move properly. I agree with your doctor. If it doesn't fix itself by the time she is a year old then take action to get it corrected.

When my son was younger and he looked up and over one eye ones off a little bit. It's corrected itself a lot, but you can sometimes still notice it.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 10:10 AM on Jul. 22, 2010

• Okay now I am a little worried. My four year old has a lazy eye but mainly it just shows up when he is tired. His Pediatrician sent him to an Ophthalmologist who did a lot of checking in my sons eyes (he had to dilate and spent a lot of time with him). He said that my sons eyes looked good and moved perfectly there in the office and said that it doesn't count when they are tired. Since then I have noticed that it has gotten a little bit worse but repeat to myself not to worry. I had never seen a lazy eye before but my husbands cousin has one. You all think I should be worried?
    kc932

Answer by kc932 at 10:26 AM on Jul. 22, 2010