Do you have any repeat names in your family?

My husband's middle name is James. We had planned like a year after we met that we would give our son, if we had one, his middle name. My husband's sister had a little boy 2 years before us, and his name is Kaleb James. Our son's name is Xander James.

My middle name is Nicole, and our little girl will be Alayna Nicole. My husband's sister's daughter is named Kasey Nicole. My husband's sister is also pregnant, and if she is having a boy, she is going to name him Joshua, which also happens to be my husband's other sister's husbands name. Luckily for us, no one cares.

AMZF812

Asked by AMZF812 at 8:51 AM on Jul. 22, 2010 in Baby Names

• John,Steven,Kenneth

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 8:55 AM on Jul. 22, 2010

• Marie is the name that runs through our family... it is my mother's first name, my grandmother's (my dad's mom) first name, my mother-in-law's middle name, my niece's middle name and my daughter's middle name.
    neebug3766

Answer by neebug3766 at 8:56 AM on Jul. 22, 2010

• Yes, my oldest sons middle name is douglas which goes back 4 generations in my husbands family.
    laciD

Answer by laciD at 9:03 AM on Jul. 22, 2010

• My brother's name is David - one of my sons has David as his middle name. Now, this same brother named his son Andrew, which is my other son's middle name - I just so happened to liberate that name from one of our cousins.
    mpeada

Answer by mpeada at 9:05 AM on Jul. 22, 2010

• Catherine is my dd middle name, my niece's middle name, my cousin's middle name (she spells it different) but my grandmother had it first. My grandmother's full name is Mary Catherine which is my dd is named after her. My grandmother was named after her great-grandmother. I have my mom's middle name (Lee) which is also my bil's middle name. We named our second son Andrew and that is my brother and my other bil's middle name. Our oldest son is Harrison, which Harry is a big time family name with both of my parents.
    JamieLK

Answer by JamieLK at 9:05 AM on Jul. 22, 2010

• My family has lots of Franks and Joes. Ann is a pretty common middle name too. That's my extended family though- me & my brothers all chose really different names for our kids. And our dad chose different names for us. So maybe the theme in my immediate family is just "weird" :)
    emhain

Answer by emhain at 9:07 AM on Jul. 22, 2010

• unfourtunately, yes. We have a 5 year old named Katherine. My BIL has a 1 year old. They decided they liked it so much, that they named HER Katherine. So the cousins have the same first AND last name. If they'd used a middle name I wouldn't have cared. Or if it had been a family name. But there are NO Katherines on either side. We picked it because we loved it. And so did they. My MIL particularly hates it. Noone knows which Granddaughter she's talking about!

thankfully, they live in NC. So at least they don't see each other but once a year.
    squeegeatc

Answer by squeegeatc at 9:11 AM on Jul. 22, 2010

• Rose, james, jay, jason.
    If you yell Jay at one of my hubbies family gatherings you will have every Jay,JAmes, and Jason answer you. If you yell Rose at mine you have rosa,rosalyn, Rose, Roselee, andRosie respond. What a mess
    wildwiccan83

Answer by wildwiccan83 at 9:13 AM on Jul. 22, 2010

• umm yes threwout my large family there are lots of re peats but in my small family thats just me hubby and the three kids but DS has DH's first name as a middle name. we had planned on give our next DS DH's midle name as a middle name to keep it going but we had a little girl instead : )
    sandraberke

Answer by sandraberke at 9:16 AM on Jul. 22, 2010

• My husband's family always gave their first born sons the middle name of Braxton. It was because they claimed they were direct decendents of Carter Braxton signer of the Declaration of Independence. I did NOT give our first son the name and I don't think the family was very happy. As a amateur genealogist, you know I researched it. Took 7 years and in fact they are not related at all. Seems like miscommunication guided the misguided!.. ROFL... Being Italian, you know that all us girls have the middle name MARIE!
    WoodWitch

Answer by WoodWitch at 9:37 AM on Jul. 22, 2010