Are there any benefits to detox?

I quit smoking exactly one month ago. Great! Unfortunately, I substituted honeybuns and Mountain Dew's for cigarettes. Now I feel like crap. I feel like I need to detox, but I've heard they can actually hurt more than they hurt. What do you think? Do you know a good detox diet? How long should I do it?

Babujai

Asked by Babujai at 1:57 AM on Oct. 2, 2008 in Diet & Fitness

• As mentioned above, detox is a great thing & any one who has done it can tell you the first few days are tough, then you actually start to feel better, dare I say even a bit lighter. However, it is best for you to develop healthy habits that you can fall back on everyday. You can start by trying to eat food closest to their source of origin (i.e. baked potatoes vs french fries/ potato chips) Also, try seasoning your foods with low salt seasonings or fresh/ freeze dried herbs as this will make foods that were somewhat bland to have some more flavor. Lastly, drink lots of water - it never hurts to be well hydrated + it allows you to flush out your system daily. Good luck and enjoy!
    madlyinlove412

Answer by madlyinlove412 at 7:57 AM on Oct. 2, 2008

• detox is REALLY good for you.... i do it very often.. its very healthy for you.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:59 AM on Oct. 2, 2008

• Detoxing can be great, but you need to be physically healthy, and obviously you can't detox while pregnant or nursing. I just do a raw/juice/raw fast that lasts a week. Another healthy alternative is to adapt a 100% raw and preferably organic diet for a month. I wouldn't trust any detox pills or crazy quick-diets like south beach, though. If you do it, do it mother nature's way.
    jellyphish

Answer by jellyphish at 2:04 AM on Oct. 2, 2008

• yes but you must becareful try going gerson its very good for you and a great way to detox your body healthy
    Patience1

Answer by Patience1 at 3:04 AM on Oct. 2, 2008

• Go to the library and look up a book called Fit For Life, by Harvey & Marilyn Diamond. Once you read how foods like you've been eating are processed through your body, you'll have a hard time eating them again.

Detox can be a great, though sometimes difficult, process. Just remember to take it slowly, and try to hang in there through the first 48 hours when all of the junk is being flushed out and making you feel it every step of the way. Once you're past that, it gets easier, and you'll feel a lot better.

Afterwards, void processed foods, and high fructose corn syrup (which, unlike sugar, is processed in your liver, preventing it from properly processing everything else you eat in that time period.)
    jespeach

Answer by jespeach at 1:05 AM on Oct. 5, 2008