How old is too old to be driving anymore?

Drivers who respond too slowly, drive under the speed limit, forget to signal, don't look in their mirrors for pedestrians walking, etc. are just as bad as kids who think they are cute and drive over the speed limit. We don't have any mandatory laws to keep those that are driving already from having to surrender their licenses because they really shouldn't be on the road anymore. What do you think?

CafeMochaMom1

Asked by CafeMochaMom1 at 9:31 AM on Jul. 22, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• I am a firm believer in EVERYONE having to take a "mini driving test" (it could either be a simulated test or a physical driving test around an established testing track) every 4-8 years upon renewing their driver's license, IF you have received a DUI, a speeding ticket or a ticket for some other motor vehicle violation, AND/OR begin wearing corrective lenses, develop a medical condition, such as a hearing problem or develop a physical disability--basically ANYTHING that either shows you have reckless tendencies or something that COULD impair your judgment while driving.

I think if it were an "across the board" law then it wouldn't offend those who DO follow the laws and ARE safe drivers. In the 26 years I have been driving, I have never received a ticket or been involved in an accident (knock in wood), but I would have NO PROBLEM taking a "refresher" driving test!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 9:45 AM on Jul. 22, 2010

• I think it is individual - when a person can no longer drive safely, they should surrender their license. Many elderly people drive because they do not have a choice - they are on limited incomes and cannot afford taxis or do not have children to take them to their doctor appointments, to the pharmacy or to the grocery store.
    neebug3766

Answer by neebug3766 at 9:36 AM on Jul. 22, 2010

• It really depends. I think rather than putting an age limit on when you can't drive they should require driving tests every 2 yrs after 65. People age differently as do their minds. Some are capable to drive at 75 and others have problems at 65. It's not fair to "set" a number.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 9:38 AM on Jul. 22, 2010

• I think that over 60% or more of drivers on the road today have vision problems. I really think that a lot of people just cannot see regardless of their age. I do not think that there should be an age limit BUT, I think that at least every 3-5 years, drivers should have to take written drivers tests again & VISION tests. Most people that drive today probably would NOT be able to pass another written test if given because it seems that no one KNOWS the Rules of the Road at all! If you do not pass either the test or vision, you should have to take drivers ed again and have a note that you went to see a licenced opthamologist or optometrist and confirm that you are wearing corrective lenses. If licences were taken away from the elderly for no reason, I think it would be devastating for most. Like taking away their independence. Unfortunately in this society, we do not take care of our elderly as we should.

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 9:40 AM on Jul. 22, 2010

• There isn't any real age limit - nor should their be. If you're 35 and can't see or have Alzheimer and can't remember how to drive, you shouldn't be driving and it's time to take the keys... But if you're 109 and still have all your marbles and no trouble seeing or getting around, there's no reason to restrict you... As with so many other things, it's about the individual and their capabilities rather than any one specific number. I think that about 65 or 70 we should start requiring up to date physicals & eye tests as well as newly taken driving tests every few years just to make sure that everyone is safe - not just other drivers but them as well...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 6:23 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• It really depends. I think rather than putting an age limit on when you can't drive they should require driving tests every 2 yrs after 65. i've seen some old folks out there and they just dont need their liscense i've been ran off the road by an old lady
    mom2twoboys41

Answer by mom2twoboys41 at 10:10 AM on Jul. 22, 2010

• agree with mom2twoboys. i think that 65 and older should have to retake there driving test (not the written but the actual driving test) every 2 years. Just like every person should be required to retake the test regularly just not that frequent.
    mrsbean08

Answer by mrsbean08 at 10:16 AM on Jul. 22, 2010

• My grandmother is 92, and she has no business driving - she can barely see over the steering wheel, she drives about 3 mph with a wagon train behind her - She can hardly walk without assistance - how can her reaction time be as sharp as it used to be? My dad has been trying to take her everywhere she needs to go, but she's a feisty old lady....what can you do if she refuses? Nothing! She worries me to death - not just for her safety - for the safety of others.
    mpeada

Answer by mpeada at 10:26 AM on Jul. 22, 2010

• It depends on the person. You can't set an age limit and take licenses from those people that are totally fine driving just because some of them shouldn't be. I think there are people of all age groups who shouldn't be driving and are.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 11:34 AM on Jul. 22, 2010

• it is actually very dangerous. i would compare it to a drunk driver when a driver cannot function properly on the road. i think at age 65 or when you begin to get your social security that you should have to take a senior road test. just the same test they give the 16 yr olds. simple stuff. you have to make it about the person's individual ability to drive - rather than the age (that is ageism and actually not legal) i am sure private sector business could thrive driving seniors around town if they dont wanna ride the bus - i wouldnt...
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 2:33 PM on Jul. 22, 2010