Is America a Christian Nation?

35yoamom

Asked by 35yoamom at 9:37 AM on Jul. 22, 2010 in Religious Debate

• America was founded on the principle of religious freedom.
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 9:38 AM on Jul. 22, 2010

• Last time I checked we had the freedom of religion.
    WoodWitch

Answer by WoodWitch at 9:39 AM on Jul. 22, 2010

• – collapse
    America was once a predominantly Christian nation. but sadly, I do not think it is today. We have a president who is a Muslim for goodness sake!
    neebug3766

Answer by neebug3766 at 9:39 AM on Jul. 22, 2010 (hidden) + expand

• Who cares if we have a Muslim president?!? I don't care for the man's politics personally but people say he's Muslim like that is automatically a bad thing. And FYI: he's NOT Muslim.

As far as the question, no. America is not a Christian nation. Like the first poster said, America was founded on the principle of freedom of religion. To believe in a higher power or not as you so choose.
    VeganMuslimah

Answer by VeganMuslimah at 9:42 AM on Jul. 22, 2010

• geez neebug - you say that like you're saying he's a leper or something. Actually, strike that. Supposedly Jesus treated lepers better than that. Way to promote that loving christian ideal...*shakes head*

deadheadjen

Answer by deadheadjen at 9:47 AM on Jul. 22, 2010

• America claims no religion. As it should be. None has the right to force other to believe anything.
    RheaF

Answer by RheaF at 9:49 AM on Jul. 22, 2010

• Obama says that he is no Muslim. I am not sure what else he can do to prove that he isnt.
    35yoamom

Comment by 35yoamom (original poster) at 9:55 AM on Jul. 22, 2010

• No. Though the majority of Americans *claim* to be christian.

The United States of America was founded on the principal freedom of religion. Which also means freedom from religion, and religious rule. NEVER was it intended to be a "Christian Nation"... You should really brush up on history to find out what our founding fathers truly believed, and practiced.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 9:57 AM on Jul. 22, 2010

• No.
    The United states was founded by Puritains, but founded on the principle of religious freedom. Which means that one was to choose and follow the religion of their choice. Without consequences from the King or anyone else.

Now a days there are a lot who claim the Christian religion, but the country as a whole is not Christian. Some are Jewish, some are Catholic, some are Muslim, some are Athiests. Everyone has a different belief and even a different belief within the same religion as another.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 9:59 AM on Jul. 22, 2010

• America was once a predominantly Christian nation. but sadly, I do not think it is today. We have a president who is a Muslim for goodness sake!

You are woefully misinformed and should ashamed of your ignorance.  I know more about your history than you do and I'm not even American.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 10:09 AM on Jul. 22, 2010