Christians *Edited with info*

Does it bother you that the divinity of Jesus was decided by a vote by bishops?
*Edit*
Yes I was talking about the Council of Necea. For those Christians who do not know, this is part of what happened at that Council taken from gotquestions.org (a Christian site) (thx for the site CS):

"The main theological issue and focus had always been about Christ. Since the end of the Apostolic Age and beginning of the Church Age, saints began questioning, debating, fighting, and separating over the question, “Who is the Christ?” Is He more divine than human or more human than divine? Is the Father the One and only True God, or are the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit the One true God? Once the Nicea Council meeting was underway Constantine demanded that the 300 bishops make a decision by majority vote defining who Jesus Christ is. The bishops voted to make the full deity of Christ the accepted position for the church."

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:46 AM on Jul. 22, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• First a Christian if they feel spiritually that this is not true should feel comfortable enough in there relationship with god to not care what man says on the subject.
    Second religion should be a personal relationship with god that you trust above the word of man.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 6:47 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• Christians recognized Christ as God waaaay before the Council of Nicea, as His divinity is stressed repeatedly in the NT:

Jesus' opponents sought to kill him because he "called God his Father, making himself equal with God" (John 5:18).

When quizzed about how he has special knowledge of Abraham, Jesus replies, "Truly, truly, I say to you, before Abraham was, I am" (John 8:58), invoking and applying to himself the personal name of God-"I Am" (Ex. 3:14). His audience understood exactly what he was claiming about himself. "So they took up stones to throw at him; but Jesus hid himself, and went out of the temple" (John 8:59).

In John 20:28, Thomas falls at Jesus' feet, exclaiming, "My Lord and my God!" And Paul tells us that Jesus chose to be born in humble, human form even though he could have remained in equal glory with the Father, for he was "in the form of God" (Phil. 2:6).

flatlanderjenn

Answer by flatlanderjenn at 12:22 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• * Tertullian: "God alone is without sin. The only man who is without sin is Christ; for Christ is also God" (The Soul 41:3 [A.D. 210]).
    * Origen: "Although he was God, he took flesh; and having been made man, he remained what he was: God" (The Fundamental Doctrines 1:0:4 [A.D. 225]).
    flatlanderjenn

Answer by flatlanderjenn at 12:26 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• Constantine had called the Council together to settle a dispute that had arisen when a priest from Egypt named Arius began to deny that Jesus was God, causing a scandal by repudiating the faith of Christians everywhere. Arius gained a number of followers (known as Arians) and the controversy between the Arians and traditional Christians grew so sharp that the emperor called the Council to settle the matter. Personally, Constantine tended to support the position of the Arians, but he recognized the authority of the bishops in articulating the Christian faith, and the bishops of the Council reaffirmed the traditional Christian teaching that Jesus was fully divine. ...

flatlanderjenn

Answer by flatlanderjenn at 12:28 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• ...It was thus the bishops of the Council of Nicaea who reaffirmed the historic Christian position against Arius and his followers. Constantine recognized their authority to do so in spite of the fact he would have preferred a different outcome.
    flatlanderjenn

• Also, the writings of the Church Fathers (and even non-Christian historians) before the time of Constantine show that Christians regarded Jesus as God.

Consider the following quotations, all of which predate the Council of Nicaea:

* Ignatius of Antioch: "For our God, Jesus Christ, was conceived by Mary in accord with God's plan: of the seed of David, it is true, but also of the Holy Spirit" (Letter to the Ephesians 18:2 [A.D. 110]).
    *Tatian the Syrian: "We are not playing the fool, you Greeks, nor do we talk nonsense, when we report that God was born in the form of a man" (Address to the Greeks 21 [A.D. 170]).
    *Clement of Alexandria: "The Word, then, the Christ, is the cause both of our ancient beginning-for he was in God-and of our well-being. And now this same Word has appeared as man. He alone is both God and man, and the source of all our good things" (Exhortation to the Greeks 1:7:1 [A.D. 190]).
    flatlanderjenn

Answer by flatlanderjenn at 12:25 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• I personally am not bothered by this vote. Human beings are forever trying to analyze, define, categorize all things in and about life. I think God just got a good laugh that day... I think he probably just smiled and shook his head.
    LindyCam

Answer by LindyCam at 9:56 AM on Jul. 22, 2010

• They didn't decide that he was deity, they just decided to recognize that He is deity as their "official" position.
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 9:55 AM on Jul. 22, 2010

• It doesn't bother me at all. The divinity of Christ is clearly stated in the Bible. Knowing something about Church history, I know that the early church was experiencing lots of heresies (their word, not mine) and needed to define the specific position that would allow them to remain faithful to the teaching of the Apostles. They adapted the Apostles' Creed to the Nicene Creed, which was really a statement of faith to help the early Christians avoid becoming confused when people approached them with ideas that were contrary to Christian teaching.
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 9:22 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• Flatlanderjen, you are awesome! Thank you for posting those references from the Early Church Fathers. I did not have time to pull out my books and type it up.
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 9:25 PM on Jul. 22, 2010