Have you ever tried to get off of your anti-depressant prescription?

Have you ever been on Cymbalta? How did you wean yourself off of it?

35yoamom

Asked by 35yoamom at 9:50 AM on Jul. 22, 2010 in Health

• I was never on Cymbalta, but I was on Wellbuterin and Zoloft. What I did was slowly started backing down my dosage. I would take the wellbuterin 2 times a day then I would take it once a day for a week or so then I would take one ever other day for a week then once a week then I just stopped. The zoloft never did anything for me so I just stopped taking it. You need to talk to your dr before stopping them though. Wean off slowly so you dont have any adverse affects from it. You ahve to let your body rid itself slowly.
    melliesmom1207

Answer by melliesmom1207 at 9:55 AM on Jul. 22, 2010

• I was on Lexapro for a short period of time. I did not like how it made me feel so I just stopped taking it. I made sure that my DH knew what I was doing so he was aware that they might be changes. I did not have any issues coming off of it. But I still felt that there was something wrong. Turns out it was my thyroid causing the issues. Through the use of synthroid my thyroid is now balanced and i feel much better. Point of the story.... did they ever look for an underlying cause for your depression or did they just give your the medicine? Depending on the answer is how I would suggest you come off of the antidepressant.
    LorisBaby

Answer by LorisBaby at 9:56 AM on Jul. 22, 2010

• I justtold them that I was depressed and had been on Cymbalta before...
    35yoamom

Comment by 35yoamom (original poster) at 9:59 AM on Jul. 22, 2010

• I can just stop taking it. I take Effexor XR which has bad reactions for quite a few people but for some reason Effexor just works well for me. I don't have the side effects that a lot of people do. Also my pcp told me at my last visit that people who come off of Effexor hit a major low so he does not usually prescribe it, but I do not have those issues for some reason. My psychiatrist was the one who originally prescribed it for me.
    kc932

Answer by kc932 at 10:14 AM on Jul. 22, 2010

• I was on Lexapro for quite a while, then I lost my insurance and couldn't afford to buy it anymore and just quit. I didn't really have any bad effects. But I would ask your doc before quitting.
    kuriequinn

Answer by kuriequinn at 10:27 AM on Jul. 22, 2010

• Glad your not on Paxil. You have to de-tox in a hospital. When I was pregnant with my first child, my dr. just stopped giving me Paxil. and the withdraws were so bad with nothing they could do since I was pregnant. I was suicidal for a few months. I don't ever wish anyone thru that. I still take paxil. Got back on it. If I try to get off it I will need to do so in a hospital. Good luck on your journey. I wouldn't do it alone. Let someone know what you are doing.
    MKSers

Answer by MKSers at 10:51 AM on Jul. 22, 2010

• I have and it was horrible for every antidepressant medication I was. With Paxil, the doctors told me I could quit cold turkey. This was back in 1997 so there was no research out about withdrawal. It was horrible. I was put on Prozac and once I got pregnant I self weaned and that worked pretty good. Then a few years later I was put on both Effexor XR and regular Effexor. I stopped taking Effexor XR and did a self wean with the regular medicine. I would take one every other day, every two days, half every other day, whatever worked. I have Seasonal Affective Disorder and have not felt bad enough to get seen. I don't want to go through that withdrawal again.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 1:07 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• Please do this with your therapist, not on your own.

Answer by rkoloms at 9:03 PM on Jul. 22, 2010