how can you get gestational diabetes??

are there certain things that you can do to prevent getting it?? can you get it from eating too much sweets and sugars during pregnancy???

KelsoBabeyy

Asked by KelsoBabeyy at 2:27 AM on Oct. 2, 2008 in Pregnancy

• Being over weight can cause it but there are many different factors like genetics.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:44 AM on Oct. 2, 2008

• Well; yes and no. Gestational diabetes is just a fluke thing that happens to everyone. I remember when I was told I was borderline, (the lab tech said because I was over my ideal weight, they are going to test you right off the bat.I am chubby, so I assumed only overweight girls got gestational diabetes.) When I attended the little seminar on it, which teaches you about your diet, etc; most the girls in there were skinny lil things with baby bumps. I couldn't believe it. They are unsure what causes it; but sugar intake does not "start the clock." It only affects it if for some reason you get gestational diabetes. I can tell you from experience that I had to watch my food, as far as portions and starches and sugars. The only hard part about following the diabetic stuff honestly was getting the blood work done every week or two.
    leoangel

Answer by leoangel at 7:22 AM on Oct. 2, 2008

• I am just glad mine was not severe enough for insulin, nor did it require me to take my blood everyday and test my sugars; THANK GOD for that! The plus side to monitoring your diet; (believe me, I still ate sugars and carbs, just watched them closely) I only gained 9 lbs my whole pregnancy. :)
    leoangel

• Mine did not need insulin. It was because my body wasn't able to regulate the sugar very well during pregnancy. I had been eating more sugar than normal for my body, which is what caused the spike. You might more important things to worry about though.
    charisma10

Answer by charisma10 at 12:02 PM on Oct. 2, 2008