Should mainstream media have this power? Documents show media plotting to kill stories about Rev. Jeremiah Wright

It was the moment of greatest peril for then-Sen. Barack Obama’s political career. In the heat of the presidential campaign, videos surfaced of Obama’s pastor, the Rev. Jeremiah Wright, angrily denouncing whites, the U.S. government and America itself. Obama had once bragged of his closeness to Wright. Now the black nationalist preacher’s rhetoric was threatening to torpedo Obama’s campaign.

According to records obtained by The Daily Caller, at several points during the 2008 presidential campaign a group of liberal journalists took radical steps to protect their favored candidate. Employees of news organizations including Time, Politico, the Huffington Post, the Baltimore Sun, the Guardian, Salon and the New Republic participated in outpourings of anger over how Obama had been treated in the media, and in some cases plotted to fix the damage.

The story is dated 7/20/10. Clicky link below.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:59 AM on Jul. 22, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Personally I think most of them should be fired for how they have been (not) reporting. Unfortunately there is that little thing called the 1st amendment. I do think the owners of such media players should fire them for much of what they say but they are fostering the attitude instead.
    For those who have said it's not new, it really is. It's been in the past 3-4 yrs that this has gotten so blatant and bad. In the grand scheme of news that is new.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 10:24 AM on Jul. 22, 2010

• I really don't see the big deal. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to notice that some journalists are more likely to print certain stories than others. Even SNL had skits making fun of how liberal journalists pretty much licked between Obama's toes they were so enamoured. I always assumed there was some group somewhere where likeminded media types got together to do this stuff. I'd fall off my seat in shock if there isn't one with a conservative bias.

The fact that it was shut down so quickly once there was a leak looks bad. It does lead one to think they purposefully meant to mislead people, which is different than reporting with bias, imo.

Bezu

Answer by Bezu at 10:59 AM on Jul. 22, 2010

• Salon, HuffPo, and New Republic are mainstream now? lol

And George Stephanopolis is not?

That article is completely unconvincing with the assertion in the title. Where do Time & Politico come in? What a smear job. I find it interesting that some people who defend Fox's obvious smears are so sensitive to left wing media. Fired for not reporting on Wright? How is he even relevant?
    stacymomof2

Answer by stacymomof2 at 10:59 AM on Jul. 22, 2010

• LOL..right wing blog that shows no documents...LOL...OK

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 10:10 AM on Jul. 22, 2010

• I saw that story the other day. I felt like it didn't do a great job of completing a burden of proof, especially since the stories about Wright were everywhere.

However, it does bring up a thought... media is going to slant... they can't help it. It's important that there are both sides to ensure the truth comes out.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 11:08 AM on Jul. 22, 2010

• By the way my Brother and his wife are Obama Zombies and they ONLY watch CNN and NBC and they hadn't hear of the Black Panther Party case?? And they never know what is going on and are shocked when we talk to them about their God. (that is what they call him)
    They always say the Government needs to help the poor. And I ask them where do you think the Government get their money to spend and spend (like bush). ? They do say taxes but they don't make that much so they will not be taxed. NICE . As long as we don't have to pay then it is Okay. Sound like a liberal.
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 11:18 AM on Jul. 22, 2010

• Didn't we go over this a bunch of times...over and over it....since Obama first ran and the stories about the Reverand started popping up? They didn't hide the stories about him....where did THIS come from all of a sudden? We all knew the Rev Wright was nuts.And everyone jumped on the" Obama's Rev is anti-white bandwagon".
    Repitition ....have you run out of negative questions???HAs the Media run out of bad news? They have to dig up two year old stuff? ....yawn......
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 11:44 AM on Jul. 22, 2010

• they do NOT call him GOD
    ______________________
    Of course ALL liberals call Obama God. Just ask any conservative. lol
    stacymomof2

Answer by stacymomof2 at 11:44 AM on Jul. 22, 2010

• Didn't we go over this a bunch of times...over and over it....since Obama first ran and the stories about the Reverand started popping up?
    ______________________________
    No kidding, this story was beat to a bloody pulp on every station.
    stacymomof2

Answer by stacymomof2 at 11:45 AM on Jul. 22, 2010

• Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:00 AM on Jul. 22, 2010