How did you get your toddler to stop screaming?

My DD is 14 months and has the most ear piercing make you want to gouge out your ears scream. She screams when she mad, happy, excited, hungry well basicly for any reason you can think of. What did you do with your child that worked it? I've tried everything I can think of and nothing is working. Please help my ears can't take much more : (

Fordmomma

Asked by Fordmomma at 10:07 AM on Jul. 22, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My toddler still screams on occasion, I generally put her in her room, or walk out of the room, because all she is wanting is attention, or she is expressing her frustration about something. If you ignore it...or act like you're not listening...it helps. Any type of attention, negative or positive will reinforce the behavior.
    TeenerBeener75

Answer by TeenerBeener75 at 11:00 AM on Jul. 22, 2010

• positive reinforcement is best reward her quiet times and ignore those moments when she is loud and screaming
    marisab

Answer by marisab at 10:16 AM on Jul. 22, 2010

• I haven't been able to stop it, but I do tell them they can only scream outside...I have 2 DD's and this is what girls do...I normally try to take a deep breath and tell them if they are going to scream, they can go do it in there room, along with the flutes that Grandpa gave them!
    ShelbysHope

Answer by ShelbysHope at 10:09 AM on Jul. 22, 2010

• Distract her with something else.

Answer by admckenzie at 10:12 AM on Jul. 22, 2010

• The only thing that worked for my screamer was ear plugs for me, lol

Sorry I can't be a help, know you have company though :-)

Hugs!
    Anonymous5

Answer by Anonymous5 at 10:29 AM on Jul. 22, 2010

• Hahahah....my daughter did this and still occasionally does. I have found that the best way to deal with it is to ignore it. If I pay any attention to it...she does it more.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 10:37 AM on Jul. 22, 2010

• Hmm I don't have this problem lol sorry. My daughter is 20 months old and she will usually only scream when she's excited but not all the time.

Sorry I'm no help, but hopefully for the sake of your ears she stops soon.
    cynprz

Answer by cynprz at 12:01 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• There is a difference between screaming (mad) and screeching (happy). When she starts to scream send her to her room. When she starts screeching then remind her in a calm voice that she needs to show her happy in another way. Just remind her of a quiet voice and try to remain using that quiet voice until she calms down.
    coala

Answer by coala at 1:16 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• Now all I have to say is "Gabe, Gabe quiet please." On the rare occassion he decides to keep doing it I gently put my hand over his mouth and say "Please stop screaming." He doesn't like having my hand on his mouth, so it usually works.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 2:17 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• Well I would put my fingers over her mouth and say no screaming, then when that didnt' work, I would put her in her room and tell her that she she was done screaming, she could come out
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 10:09 AM on Jul. 22, 2010