How do you discipline your dog?

My german shepherd/akita mix came in the livingroom this morning and peed on my floor. She is housebroken and usually comes to you or goes to the door to go out. I usually take her out as soon as we get up but this morning she gave me no warning. so how would you discipline her for this? She knows better.

mandynjohnsmom

Asked by mandynjohnsmom at 10:11 AM on Jul. 22, 2010 in Pets

• I agree with PP. If this is out of the ordinary behavior I'd be concerned about a UTI first. I never discipline dogs for accidents because 9 times out of 10 it's the owners failure to pick up on clues or a medical reason behind it. Also, rubbing an animals nose in it does absolutely NOTHING except maybe allow the owner release a little frustration. The dog may know that you're angry with them but doesn't have ability to connect the two events, especially if it's not immediately following the accident. And they certainly don't connect them in a way that leads to "I shouldn't pee on the floor anymore or this will happen again".

How old is the dog? I'd recommend bringing a urine sample to the vet to be tested. If you'd rather not spend the money I'd wait and see if it happens again. It may be an isolated incident. If it does happen again then I'd definitely take the dog in to be seen with a urine sample in hand.
    deadheadjen

Answer by deadheadjen at 10:38 AM on Jul. 22, 2010

• You may want to get her into the vet first. She may have some sort of medical issue that caused her not to be able to wait. If she never does this, then I would doubt it was just something to do to be naughty. I'd rule out a medical problem first!

Then, if you find she has no medical reason to do this, and it is a training issue, you have to be consistent. Feed her at set times. Limit her water after a certain hour at night. Take her out first thing in the morning. Another way is to feed her on the spot she eliminated for a day or two. Dogs won't eat where they 'go' so if she pees on the floor and then has to eat there, she will get the message that peeing on mom's floor isn't a good idea.

I don't know how old your dog is, but larger breeds do develop problems in their hind quarters that can sometimes lead to the inability to control their bladder. Sometimes being anxious can do it too. GOOD LUCK! :)
    SimplyLaine

Answer by SimplyLaine at 10:32 AM on Jul. 22, 2010

• I would wonder if there is something wrong with the dog before disciplining her especially if she is good about getting you when she needs to go out. That's what our dogs do and when one of our dogs is sick, then they will go in the house.
    kuriequinn

Answer by kuriequinn at 10:23 AM on Jul. 22, 2010

• Nose to the mess with a lot of "No!" Then outside to go potty. Then straight to the kennel. (We have a kennel, and it is his "time out" spot.) Our dog even knows when he has done something wrong and will put himself in time out.
    PhoenixFire

Answer by PhoenixFire at 10:13 AM on Jul. 22, 2010

• I send them to "their" room. It is actually our bedroom but they sleep in there so when they are in trouble I send them to their room. Our pit/boxer mix he knows when he is in trouble, his ears go far back and almost touch and he runs to his bed and stays in time out until he is called. If we let him out in our front yard without a leash and he leaves the yard and does not return on command he is brought home and tied to the backyard fence on a leash. Again he knows he is in trouble.
    I am not sure I would punish your dog. Both of my dogs are house trained and never have accidents in the house, so I think I would just let it go.
    kc932

Answer by kc932 at 10:18 AM on Jul. 22, 2010

• with spiked baseball bat!!! hahaha jkn

I keep my dog on the leash just like my husband.. You never wanna take em off till you know you can trust em!
    navajomama7

Answer by navajomama7 at 1:56 AM on Jul. 23, 2010