• In the Spotlight:

What do u do when u child has a cold?

I want to call her doctor but its a little cold a running nose what would u do?

Greeneyes1

Asked by Greeneyes1 at 10:27 AM on Jul. 22, 2010 in Kids' Health

• Lots of fluids, and rest... Not a lot the Dr can do for a cold..
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 10:32 AM on Jul. 22, 2010

• I ignore it until it gets hard for them to breathe or they complain. Then I will try cold medicine. The only time I call the doc is when they really can't breathe, have noisy breathing, or they start vomiting.
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 10:33 AM on Jul. 22, 2010

• Let them sleep.. and give them meds.
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 10:33 AM on Jul. 22, 2010

• Unless he has a very high fever, I wouldn't call the doctor, just give him tylenol, monitor if he has fever and give him heavy doses of love.

Answer by older at 10:34 AM on Jul. 22, 2010

• just wait it out. A cold is a virus and all you can do is wait it out and treat the symptoms.
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 10:34 AM on Jul. 22, 2010

• rest, push fluids, keep them comfortable... if a fever comes along then meds and soaking baths (to bring down fever). I also put baby vicks on the chest/back to help nasal congestion.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 10:37 AM on Jul. 22, 2010

• How old is your little one? Try to let them drink lots of fluids. Popsicles. Rest.
    MKSers

Answer by MKSers at 10:41 AM on Jul. 22, 2010

• She will be two in October. sorry forgot to tell ya.
    Greeneyes1

Comment by Greeneyes1 (original poster) at 10:45 AM on Jul. 22, 2010

• My sons an asthmatic....so this may not help you. But we have to use a nebulizer cause when he gets a cold his asthma flares up and usually he has to goto the dr to get a steroid shot since he cant take oral ones and 1/2 the time he ends up in the hospital on oxygen cause his o2 levels get out of wack
    rocker_mommy_08

Answer by rocker_mommy_08 at 11:08 AM on Jul. 22, 2010

• As long as there are no underlying medical conditions like asthma or something then I say lots of fluids and rest and if the fever gets over 102 in your case for your 2 year old and won't come down with meds then I would call. If they start showing signs of dehydration then that would warrant a visit too, but there isn't much a doc can do for a cold. If a vaporizer and other non drug things don't help the congestion enough then a decongestant will be given, but I have yet to have to do that and mine are 5 and 3 years old.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 12:06 PM on Jul. 22, 2010