why does my 14 month old wake up screaming everymorning

not just in the mornings anytime he sleeps whenever he wakes up he just starts screaming doesnt even open his eyes.... even when he sleeps right next to me just starts screaming for a long while too..... how do i get him ti stop and just wake up normally?

joycegina

Asked by joycegina at 10:45 AM on Jul. 22, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Maybe he is teething? My daughter does this when she is teething, good thing we are almost done lol.
    cynprz

Answer by cynprz at 10:50 AM on Jul. 22, 2010

• he could just be scared b/c he can't see you, and isn't quite awake yet. I think when he does that, maybe talk to him and let him know you are there, using a calm voice, and pat him on the back. Reassure him that everything is ok. I think at this age kids start going through bad dream phases...but I'm not sure. My 4 yr old still does that on occasion.
    TeenerBeener75

Answer by TeenerBeener75 at 10:56 AM on Jul. 22, 2010

• Um, My son has done this since birth aslo - He's over 2-1/2 now and still wakes up screaming for me or yelling for me - we are ALL glad he has also stopped taking naps because of the stretched out foul mood he would be in that could take up to 3-4 hours to snap out of - he used to wake that miserable also - I don't have any answers.. he's always done ti and we've tried more lighting, less lighting, night lights of all colors, fans, books by his bed, water, comfort animals.. you name it, we've done it..
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 11:04 AM on Jul. 22, 2010

• I'm going to suggest giving him a sippy cup when he wakes up. I know when my son (21-22 mo) wakes up hungry or thirsty he just throws an absolute fit. I calm him down and I give him something to drink or eat. Then he's perfectly fine after that.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 2:16 PM on Jul. 22, 2010