For those of you who co-slept how long did it take you to transition your child from your bed to their own crib / bed?

My daughter is 20 months old and she sleeps with us and has been since she was about 8 months old. We try to get to sleep in her crib, but she has to fall asleep with us first then we move her but 9 times out of 10 she wakes up around 2 - 3 am crying wanting to come to bed with us. We usually bring her in bed with us when she does wake up since we both work out of the home. But now I am 27 weeks pregnant so it's getting a little tight in our Queen bed. We don't plan on co-sleeping with this baby so that isn't why we are moving her, but it's just time to move her already.

cynprz

Asked by cynprz at 10:45 AM on Jul. 22, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I co-slept until my son was 14 months and I got married. Until then, I didn't sleep with anyone else (other than my son, of course).

It took me about 9 or 10 months to get him sleeping in his own room through the night. It was so much more difficult than I thought...I don't plan on co-sleeping with my future kids for that reason.
    mickstinator

Answer by mickstinator at 10:55 AM on Jul. 22, 2010

• we got a king size bed so we could co sleep and still have room/space. we are all skinny so it works out, but he told me when he was ready for his own bed around 18 months, he sleeps in a twin bed on the floor hes 29 months we are moving it to a frame soon though because hes ready for it. i just follow his lead because he has his own mind and can make that decision, if he wasnt ready i wouldnt do it.
    mrs.pyle

Answer by mrs.pyle at 10:52 AM on Jul. 22, 2010

• it took my son 4 yrs to transition but that's b/c i didn't want him to cuz i was a single parent living alone with him. now that i'm married and we have a daughter we're...or rather i am trying to transition her now. we just moved into a bigger space so she has her own room and bed. our big problem is getting her to fall asleep in her bed. if she goes to sleep in ours and then we move her she will wake up most times. i'm hoping it don't take long. i don't get much sleep at night cuz she wakes up and wanna sleep wit us and then i'm having to take her back to her bed, while her daddy sleeps the night away
    MommaSyrup07

Answer by MommaSyrup07 at 10:55 AM on Jul. 22, 2010

• we only co-slept until my son was 3wks....so I cant help ya w/ my own experience. But I know my sister co-slept til my niece was 9m old and she just put her in her bed from the start and if she cried...she cried.
    rocker_mommy_08

Answer by rocker_mommy_08 at 11:05 AM on Jul. 22, 2010

• LOL..well, no time. He was 5 before I bothered. And he went happily into his own bed with no issues. Hahaha
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:09 AM on Jul. 22, 2010

• my SO works overnight so ive had my 14 month old son sleeping with me basically since he was born. my SO has off on friday nights so when fridays come around, i put him in his crib. i think hes starting to realize that when daddys here at night he cant sleep in the bed with us. his crib is in our room though. he crys for a few minutes but then he just gives up. if he doesnt give up quick enough, leaving the room usually helps.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 11:49 AM on Jul. 22, 2010

• ^ he still crawls into bed with us around 4 am ish we love it :)
    mrs.pyle

• I ask my daughter do you want to sleep in your crib and she says "NO" and starts getting upset haha. I don't know why she doesn't want to sleep in there, I guess she just loves the warmth of being in between her parents.

cynprz

Comment by cynprz (original poster) at 10:54 AM on Jul. 22, 2010

• I don't really have any advice. My LO co slept for 2 weeks, then her Moses basket on the floor of our room until 3 weeks and then to her room and her crib since.
    coala

Answer by coala at 1:13 PM on Jul. 22, 2010