• In the Spotlight:

blood pressure question

Should I be concerned or call my Dr. if my blood pressure is running high for me. I checked yesterday at one of those little chair it was high. My heart has also been feeling like it is going to beat right out of my chest. I have read this can be normal, but in all my pregnancies I have never had this symptom and my blood pressure was always low. I am around 10 weeks.

ambernicole531

Asked by ambernicole531 at 10:46 AM on Jul. 22, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Something to remember is that during pregnancy your blood volume increases 45-50%. That's A LOT! So your symptoms really aren't that uncommon. It is something you should bring up with your Dr., I personally would just wait until my next appointment unless you're really worried. If you start experiencing some of the other symptoms mentioned by pp then I would go ahead and call.

In the mean time really focus on your diet. Check out this site http://www.drbrewerpregnancydiet.com/. It has lots of information on how you should be eating. A proper diet helps avoid many pregnancy related illness, like pre-e, hypertension, toxemia, gd, etc.

Something else you can do, RELAX! Deep breaths, meditate, do some yoga. Hope you feel better soon!
    jupiter84

Answer by jupiter84 at 11:48 AM on Jul. 22, 2010

• I was told that you should sit for about five to ten minutes before taking the blood pressure because changing positions and standing can affect the outcome of the reading.
    I am right there with you on the heart beating out of the chest. That is something to talk to your doctor about. There are many reasons that could be happening. Panic attacks, elevated heart rate, blood sugar issues, or something else all together.
    PhoenixFire

Answer by PhoenixFire at 10:49 AM on Jul. 22, 2010

• Call your doctor.
    WoodWitch

Answer by WoodWitch at 10:48 AM on Jul. 22, 2010

• Yes, call your doctor. High blood pressure can be a sign of other problems, like preeclampsia, so your doctor may want you to come in.
    andrea96

Answer by andrea96 at 10:49 AM on Jul. 22, 2010

• if you feel it's not normal then ask your DR, that's what they're there for...also they will check your bp at the office to, so if they see some concerns they do some test on you like have you pee in a container for 24hrs to make sure there's no protein in your urine. or have you change your diet. if you get a intense headache that don't go away, blurred vision and increase heart rate above 110 then you should go to the ER.....and this is coming from a nurse who deals with hypertension patients all the time...good luck sweetie
    MommaSyrup07

Answer by MommaSyrup07 at 10:50 AM on Jul. 22, 2010

• High blood pressure during pregnancy can be signs of preeclampsia and NO it is not normal to have high blood pressure during pregnancy. It does happen, but those people are monitored closely. It's not uncommon, but it's not "normal". Call your doctor and have him check you out.
    AshleyBDG

Answer by AshleyBDG at 11:11 AM on Jul. 22, 2010

• Anytime you're worried about something call your doctor. That's what they're there for.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 11:38 AM on Jul. 22, 2010

• You should call your doctor.. But those machines at the stores are not completely accurate.. and you were more than likely walking around a lot through the store before you checked it. Higher blood pressure and higher heart rate is actually common right now, because your body is pumping more blood through your body to accommodate your new baby on board. Everything should level out in your second trimester.
    xxlilmomma09

Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 12:51 PM on Jul. 22, 2010