running on automatic

Did you ever find that the things you do daily are so routine that you have to stop and think about whether or not you did it because you can't recall doing it? Ever get to work or somewhere else and have little to no memory of driving there?

Asked by butterflyblue19 at 10:49 AM on Jul. 22, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Yes and no.

Most of what I do in a day is random and bizarre, so when someone says 'morning routine' or something I just smile... makes poor dh nuts, because he's constantly trying to order his world, and I just won't be orderly, but I find it aids creatitivity to really decide what to do, rather than running on autopilot. It's a good assassination-avoidance method: having no predictable routine.

That said, I also have lots of experience of being totally in-the-moment so when I get somewhere or finish something, I can't remember the journey. Funnier are the times I'm going, say, downtown, and find that the car has accidentally driven me in the direction of the grocery store... mis-directed autopilot! Of course, I do the same thing at home: go into the bedroom when I meant to go to the bathroom, and stand there for a moment of silence while I try to piece together what I had in mind when I started walking...
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 10:53 AM on Jul. 22, 2010

• i do notice when i say something happened or i heard this or that

i say it was in the last 24 hours because i can not remember if it happened today or yesterday, so i just say the last 24 hours, maybe i am losing my mind, or what is left of it
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 11:05 AM on Jul. 22, 2010

• Nope, can't say that I do... Our life is not the norm.. I'm home with the kids, Hubby's away on the road so things are changing all the time. Sometimes he's home once a week, other times he's gone 4-6 weeks at a time. He will be home for a week after he gets home tonight, woohoo!! Just found that out yesterday so I'm getting ready for his time off!
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 11:10 AM on Jul. 22, 2010