My son will not sleep unless he is held. He will sleep in the swing for a few hours at at time but I was told the swing is bad for them to sleep in.... Any advice.

I have tried putting his boppie in his bed, rubbing his belly, holding him until he falls into a deep sleep but every time I lay him down he wakes right up. He is only 4 months old so I dont feel right letting him cry himself to sleep yet.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:47 AM on Oct. 2, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• First of all you need to get your baby into a routine and train him not let him train you. As long as he cries and you hold him to quiet him the longer he will continue to do it. You need to retrain yourself and the baby. You need to stand outside the babies door and let him cry for fifteen minutes(time it) then if he is still awake and crying you can pick hin up and comort him. Next sleep time you stretch it out by five or ten more minutes and after a while he should learn to fall asleep without being held. As far as sleeping in the swing I don't know what the professionals say now a days but my daughter slept hours upon hours in the swing
    jadern10

Answer by jadern10 at 2:58 AM on Oct. 2, 2008

• no age is too young to let him cry himself to sleep. It's self soothing it actually helps them in the long run.
    Selmom2007

Answer by Selmom2007 at 9:54 AM on Oct. 2, 2008

• Allowing a baby to cry himself to sleep is NOT self soothing and does NOT help them in the long run. Look at the research on the issue "The Commons report states that when babies are left alone to cry themselves to sleep, levels of cortisol, a stress hormone are elevated. Commons suggests that the constant stimulation by cortisol in infancy causes physical changes in the brain. "It makes you more prone to the effects of stress, more prone to illness, including mental illness and makes it harder to recover from illness," he concludes." Go to James Mckenna's website and see all the research from Duke University.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 11:11 AM on Oct. 2, 2008

• Lucien slept with us and enjoyed being held too.. At Kmart (if you can find one) there is a teddy bear with womb sounds. The thing goes for like 45 minutes. Thats what he is looking for when you hold him is the sound of your heart beat. and I also learned with Lucien a Dr told me, if you put a blanket against the top of his head he will feel more secure, because it simulates the womb. It all worked for Lucien...hope it helps.
    Luciens_Mom

Answer by Luciens_Mom at 11:21 AM on Oct. 2, 2008

• I have a similar situation with my daughter. She wont sleep in her crib only in my arms or her sweetpeace swing (taken off the rocker, on the ground). I told my doctor about my situation and she said it was okay for her to sleep in her sweetpeace or an infant seat. Just make sure hes on his back and he isnt hunched over to block airway. I am slowing putting her in her crib to get her used to it. Once she sleeps more sound through the night i will try putting her in her crib. The doctor also told me to prop up her crib mattress on one side so that it isnt completely flat. I think my daughter has gas that makes it uncomfortable to be on her back too.
    KikiMama729

Answer by KikiMama729 at 11:59 AM on Oct. 2, 2008

• My first was exactly like that. He ended up sleeping with us until he was 1. He now is the best sleeper out of our 3 kids. At 4 months I feel a baby is a baby and deserves to be held. I also know as a mom you can't always hold. Try swaddleing your baby. Sometimes the reason they wake up is they move and startle themselves. Swaddling helps and it also helps them feel like they are being held. You baby will grow fast above all enjoy him. Good luck!
    kittywags

Answer by kittywags at 1:13 PM on Oct. 2, 2008

• check out www.magicsleepsuit.com
    Anonymous