if your child is grown an still ask for money should you give it to him?

he is in his 30s an has a good job. but still thinks because im his mom i have to give him extra money.

queeny2

Asked by queeny2 at 11:02 AM on Jul. 22, 2010 in

• What a strange idea.

There are two circumstances under which I happily give my grown children money: because they need some help, financially, and because I want to be generous and can afford to.

Extortion based on relationship (you have to give me money because you gave birth to me) is still blackmail. I laugh at blackmailers, right to their faces. No matter who they are in relation to me.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 11:17 AM on Jul. 22, 2010

• I do this sometimes but only for emergencies, if your child can't turn to you in a time of need who can he turn to?

Answer by older at 11:03 AM on Jul. 22, 2010

• I would. I am 26 and my grandmother still puts a cheque or money in my birthday cards as well as my older sisters and she is 28! If my son wanted money then I would give it to him if I had it.
    keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 11:05 AM on Jul. 22, 2010

• I probably would if they ask. But I would ask what it's for, and wouldn't give it to them if I could forsee a way around it. My little sister asked for money and I looked at her finances and gave her a loan. She paid me back when she got the money. If your son is getting money from you, you should be keeping a tab. jmho
    MomtoElliett

Answer by MomtoElliett at 11:06 AM on Jul. 22, 2010

• If I had an adult child who was facing some sort of hardship such as loss of job or medical problems I would definitely help out as much as I was able. I would also help pay for special things for my grandchildren if my child wasn't able to provide those. I wouldn't just give them money because they wanted to spend more than they made.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 11:13 AM on Jul. 22, 2010

• No way! He is old enough to not need any money from his parents.
    shanlaree

Answer by shanlaree at 11:03 AM on Jul. 22, 2010

• No way!
    EveMomToThree

Answer by EveMomToThree at 11:04 AM on Jul. 22, 2010

• What exactly is "extra money"? LOL!

In an emergency, yes, I probably would.
    Outside of that? Absolutely not!
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 11:04 AM on Jul. 22, 2010

• Do you have alot of money,, I mean it is kind of creepy of him to ask for it, but if you have alot of money and he doesn't why not? Unless of course he had some issue, gambling, drugs or something,,,good luck
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 11:05 AM on Jul. 22, 2010

• depends on how often it is. My mom has helped me out when I was out of work for a while with my cell phone (told me she'd pay 1/2 if my husband paid the other 1/2) and w/ my gas
    rocker_mommy_08

Answer by rocker_mommy_08 at 11:10 AM on Jul. 22, 2010