Why do you think there's more men in power than women?

Cassandre

Asked by Cassandre at 11:06 AM on Jul. 22, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• A lot of people think women are weak..just because they are women.
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 11:07 AM on Jul. 22, 2010

• Because men have been in charge for thousands of years and the women's movement only happened abour 40 years ago.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 11:12 AM on Jul. 22, 2010

• I don't. I don't think that political power is the same as real power, and really very few men 'in power' are influential, really.

Women create life. I think that men have spent much of history trying to diminish that, and sometimes they do actually manage to be convincing --I have no idea how.

Boys, by virtue of having once been girls and having to go through the physical process of becoming boys, are born less mature and less robust than girls, even at the same gestational age --they are more likely to die of anything at every age, because they are physically less capable of withstanding everything from stress to disease than females. While the testosterone in their bodies give them larger bones and muscles, it weakens every system they have, from brain function to their hearts.

Add to that the layers of shame and constriction on who and how they can be, and I just don't see that they're powerful at all. Or free.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 11:13 AM on Jul. 22, 2010

• Women were not allowed the same rights as men until the last few decades and we are still discriminated against in the workplace on some level...Strides are made every day

Also, women take care of the children more so than men...That is a very TIME consuming job

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 11:16 AM on Jul. 22, 2010

• Because of women. Yes, there has been for centuries that though that men are stronger, smarter, and more in control. However, women don't prove themselves. Women don't stand up for their right to be in a position they deserve. It's the individuals fault not the masses fault. You have to understand that we faught for our freedoms as women, but we still continue to expect them to be handed to us. It doesn't work that way. You have to work for what you want. And especially feminists fight for the freedom, but sit back and wait for it to be handed to them. That's why women aren't in as many powerful positions as men, because they refuse to put forth the effort to make it happen.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 11:18 AM on Jul. 22, 2010

• Because we live in patriarchal society.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 11:18 AM on Jul. 22, 2010

• What kind of power are you talking about? In the workplace? at home? within families?

I was a corporate type and did very well for myself. Lived the 'rat race' and made it up the corporate ladder very quickly and all due to my merit and knowledge - nothing else. I was in a male-dominated profession (science and technology). I was discriminated against on a daily basis and just about every time I walked down the hallway! I wasn't going to let inappropriate stares or comments slow me down. (Don't get me wrong...I never ate crap from anyone!) I am an attractive person and it was difficult to be a young female in a male-dominated, mostly Asian based corporation. I EARNED the respect of upper management and I feel that a man with the same qualifications would have been GIVEN the respect. But...I love a challenge. It only made me stronger and better, so yes I was more powerful to rise above the bs!
    thundernlight

Answer by thundernlight at 11:30 AM on Jul. 22, 2010

• Because men have bigger egos, more money, more support and more free time to promote themselves.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 11:39 AM on Jul. 22, 2010

• I agree that there is an institutional discrimination in place. For instance, I have to stay home this morning because one of my kids is sick, and daycare will not take her. That doesn't do much in an industry where people are expected to dedicate their whole lives to the job. I feel the deck is stacked against me.

On the other hand me & my hubs have a running joke about "who's the boss" of our house. When we ask our girls "Who is the boss" they both do not hesitate for a second when they answer "Mommy!" I make the majority of household decisions (usually by default since my hubs is back to working 7 days a week) from $$ to family plans to long term goals. Hubs does have veto power if he really feels strongly about something, and I do as well.
    stacymomof2

Answer by stacymomof2 at 11:42 AM on Jul. 22, 2010

• Okay...how can I word this so that you don't all take it the wrong way and jump down my throat, lol?
    I think that oftentimes, not always, men do put forth more effort. I think men are more power-hungry and will often do anything and everything to gain that power. I think that men and women both have weaknesses and strengths. Men, in my opinion, are oftentimes better with business. On the other hand, they tend to be less emotional, which in some jobs would cause them to fail. Another thing that I think holds women back is their willingness to accept lowered standards. For example, my ex went through a police academy. The physical tests standards were so much less for women. Yet they accepted it. If it were me, I would have said that no, I would be taking the test with the same standards that the men took. Another example...my dad worked and retired from the federal prison system. cont...
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 11:49 AM on Jul. 22, 2010