Which way to save money on auto insurance?

Right now we have seperate care and seperate insurance because he is inexperienced driver and his insurance is double what mine is. I have All State and he has State Farm. At first I was scared to put him on my insurance incase of an accident that was his fault. He dirves 50 miles to work everyday so his chances of getting into an accident are higher and he has less experience. We pay $70 more a month for him alone. If he was on my policy and got into an accident would my car insurances rates be high for a period of time even if I tried to switch and just get auto insurance in my name?

reesemom

Asked by reesemom at 11:13 AM on Jul. 22, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Your rates go up for every claim that you make. If you don't make a claim on your insurance then your rates cannot go up regardless of the accident you get into. We have Progressive and it was 250 (I believe) for six months. You can also buy it by month, but we found it easier to do it for a full six months.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 11:15 AM on Jul. 22, 2010

• Yes. It will affect anyone whose name is on the policy.
    I was on my mom's insurance when I was 17, and paid her the difference. My stepdad got into an accident, and it made my own rates a little higher when I took my own policy for a while.
    But, it would be cheaper to have him on your policy, usually. Just have it set up where you are the primary, and with him added. Your good driving record will bring down the rates on his bad.
    My husband was paying $500/month on insurance before we got married and I added him to mine. With him as an added on my policy where I was primary, it brought down what he paid to $150/month. And that was only because we were young, and he has only had a license for a month. :-)
    You can call your agent and get a quote on adding him and work through all that. And they could answer your question with certainty, better than we could since we don't know the particulars. Good Luck!
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 11:17 AM on Jul. 22, 2010

• I know getting insurance online can make a HUGE difference, I was paying $250 a month for 2 cars and since I switched to geico.com I only pay $80 for 2 cars.
    BlainesMommy09

Answer by BlainesMommy09 at 11:27 AM on Jul. 22, 2010

• I bought his insurance online and he got a discount. All of the other quotes I got for him was $700 every six months. I do think he got a good deal on his insurance because he hasn't had his liscense a year yet.
    reesemom

Comment by reesemom (original poster) at 11:35 AM on Jul. 22, 2010

• Wow...where do you peeps live and how old are you? We pay $367 a year to fully cover my 2002 car and $389 a year to fully cover my husband 2007 Silverado. We get multi-line discounts. If I had to pay the rates you guys pay, I would take a bus.
    WoodWitch

Answer by WoodWitch at 11:46 AM on Jul. 22, 2010

• What you need to do is call your agents (his and yours) to find out what each insurance company can offer the both of you to be on one insurance plan. You may qualify for certain discounts.
    The only way to know for sure is to have the agents work the numbers, then decide. They do it all the time and will not be pushy for you to decide on the spot....at least they shouldn't be.
    Whenever we need to make adjustments or have questions about our insurance plans we know we can call our agent and she spends her time patiently working the numbers and looking for discounts to get the best offer for us. Then we make a decision or we get back to her another day with a decision.
    It's all about the insurance companies wanting to make you happy and keeping your business. There are also other companies out there, so call them, too.
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 12:12 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• Our is 90 a month for FULL coverage on 2 cars. That's the lowest we could get and much cheaper then a lot of our friends and relatives that live in our area. Your credit score AND driving record effect your rates. Of course, location, car make and model, insurance policy also make a difference. It is a known fact that if you have a low credit score you will pay more in car ins. then someone that has a high credit score. I would talk to various agents and see what can be done. The type of policy, your credit score, car make and model, along with driving record all influence the rates.
    SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 12:29 PM on Jul. 22, 2010