Feeling depressed and discouraged about weight gain

I am 37 weeks pregnant and have gained close to 45 pounds. My midwife is out of town so I met with her assistant fort he first time yesterday. I gained one pound since my last appointment 2 weeks ago and she proceeds to tell me that I am so close to 50 pounds and I really shouldn't go over that. She then asks if I should change my diet so I don't go over 50. I told her I work out 5 days a week (cardio, weight lifting and pilates) and have counted my calories for years. I have in no way been eating unhealthy. She did feel bad but now I feel horrible, I have worked so hard to stay fit and healthy during my pregnancy and feel like a failure for gaining as much as I have. Any advice?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:28 AM on Jul. 22, 2010 in Pregnancy

• You are supposed to gain weight when you are pregnant. Do not change your diet. Did you ask her how much of your weight if from water or fluid retention and the baby's weight? You are carrying a fully formed human in your body, that does add to your weight. Worry about losing it AFTER you deliver the baby.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:33 AM on Jul. 22, 2010

• You certainly are not a failure! Step back and take adeep breath If this is your lifestyle you will get back to your pre preganancy weight easily once the baby comes. Some of us gain a lot, some don't. Pat yourself on the back for working out during your preganancy, plus eating right, and know you are doing your best. Good luck with the baby!
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 11:34 AM on Jul. 22, 2010

• You're not a failure. Weight gain is part of pregnancy. Have you been drinking plenty of water? A portion of that weight is fluids and will disappear after delivery. Another portion is the baby. After you deliver, keeping working out, eating healthy and drinking fluids. You'll be back to your pre-pregnacy weight in no time.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 11:34 AM on Jul. 22, 2010

• You did what you should! Sometimes you gain more, sometimes less but the important thing is the baby is healthy!! Once that baby is born you will have no problem getting the extra weight off because you stayed fit and didn't eat a bnch of junk during the pregnancy! It's just what your body needed for this baby. Don't stress over it, pretty soon the baby will be out and these hormones will calm down. Good job for staying active and maintaining a good diet!
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 11:36 AM on Jul. 22, 2010

• It all depends on how much you weighed before you became pregnant. If you've been eating healthy and working out this whole time then holy moly kudo's to you! You should be proud of that and having done that, any weight that you have that is extra is just going to melt off after you have the baby, especially if you breastfeed. Try to give yourself a break, at least you have a good excuse. Best of luck with the upcoming birth.
    AshleyBDG

Answer by AshleyBDG at 11:37 AM on Jul. 22, 2010

• If you are eating healthy, exercising and drinking plenty of fluids then there is no reason to be concerned about weight gain. It will only stress you out unnecessarily. Just be confident in the fact that you're doing the best you can for yourself and your baby and everything will be fine.
    jupiter84

Answer by jupiter84 at 11:38 AM on Jul. 22, 2010

• jupiter84 has it right on.
    FatGirl239

Answer by FatGirl239 at 11:39 AM on Jul. 22, 2010

• you are doing just fine dont listen to her your doing everything the right way
    devinalexis

Answer by devinalexis at 11:41 AM on Jul. 22, 2010

Rachelxbby

Answer by Rachelxbby at 12:22 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• I know the feeling.....

I was 137 when I got pg with my first and gained 24 pounds my 3rd month. I felt horrible, I didn't change my diet (but I didn't bother to exercise either)...... The weight kept on coming and when I gave birth I was over 200lbs. I don't know why but my body was retaining almost all the water that I was drinking. The dr said to rid the water retension to drink more water and all that did was make me gain more weight. I had rolls on my feet thats how swollen they were.

You are NOT a failure!

I gave birth at 201 and when I left the hospital I was 175...... my baby was not 26 pounds... it was all water.
    jking48444

Answer by jking48444 at 3:25 PM on Jul. 22, 2010