lip piercing swollen to the max! help

I pierced my lip yesterday this mornin my lip is totally swollen in the inside of my lip yu can't even see the end of the ring its swollen &my lip is caving around the ring is this normal or is it justt healin

maris1192

Asked by maris1192 at 11:42 AM on Jul. 22, 2010 in Beauty & Style

• When you say YOU pierced it, do you mean you had it done at a professional piercing shop, or you did it yourself? I hope you had it done. You can always call your piercer to ask for advice.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 11:43 AM on Jul. 22, 2010

• You pierced your lip? Or had it done professionally? It is normal for a lip piercing to swell quite bad & it should go away in a week. If you did it your self, you may not have used a big enough ring for the lip to have room to swell..
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 11:44 AM on Jul. 22, 2010

• It does get really swollen but should go down in a few days.
    keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 11:44 AM on Jul. 22, 2010

• Oh yeah you have to use a really big ring at first too which you would have gotten from the professional to make room for the swelling.
    keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 11:45 AM on Jul. 22, 2010

• Ha ha! How sterile was the piercing site?

Lots of swelling is normal in an oral wound, and it takes about a week for it to diminish --but if it's hot, red, or continues to swell beyond what it's like today, it's probably infected and you'll need it treated.

When you pierce your lip, you're introducing all the bacteria (millions) in your mouth to your wound site continuously as it heals, so it's important to clean it with something that you won't react to. Often saline is the cleaner of choice, because harsher chemicals make for more scarring, but one of my daughters is allergic to salt, so she can't use it. You need to clean the wound at least 5 times a day, with a sterile solution (water boiled for 5 minutes, stored in a sterilized container, with or without a small amount of sea salt or hydrogen peroxide added), soak the gunk off, and only then turn the jewelery --all with immaculately clean hands and equipment
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 11:48 AM on Jul. 22, 2010

• Oh sorry yes it is professionally done...
    maris1192

Comment by maris1192 (original poster) at 11:49 AM on Jul. 22, 2010

• YOU pierced it? Well....no wonder.
    I would NEVER pierce anything but my earlobes because of the chance of infection and because I don't want to look like an idiot.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:50 AM on Jul. 22, 2010

• i have my lip pierced, have had it 3 different times. yes, thats normal. it should take between 3 days and a week to start to go down. just make sure you mouth wash in the morning, before bed, and after you eat.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 11:55 AM on Jul. 22, 2010

• Mine didn't swell like that at all. Do not twist the ring. Keep it rinsed with contact solution(saline). suck on ice. use biotene mouthwash. Don't smoke.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 12:20 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• Use some ice on it. Swelling is normal.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 10:41 AM on Jul. 23, 2010