How often do you travel out of state?

We travel out of state once a month. My parents live in SC and we just moved to FL in January. So we promised my parents that we would travel up there once a month to visit and so they could see their granddaughter. It's starting to take a strain on our finances though, so next year the trips probably won't be so frequent.

poptart0325

Asked by poptart0325 at 11:46 AM on Jul. 22, 2010 in Travel

• We travel all the time, but it's for pleasure. How far of a drive is it for you? FL is a big state and depending on where you live, that road trip could be really long. Don't feel guilty about moving. It's your life and you have to make decisions that are best for your family. If they keep insisting that they see their grandchild once a month, then maybe they can visit you also. Besides.... I'd hate for all of your vacations to be to see the grandparents. What about Disney, etc? You will want to have time and money to go on "real" vacations. Just be true to yourself. If it's a drain on your finances, then maybe you guys should try and come up with a different solution. My parents live over 1000 miles away. So, I know it's hard when you first move.
    sherribeare

Answer by sherribeare at 2:11 AM on Jul. 23, 2010

• I think that is excessive. They can visit you. Or meet someplace else . We live 1 hour from Canada and 1 hour from the Ohio state border so it would be hard to say "out of state" How many hours driv? I can say this that the older the kids the more involved they get and finding tome to travel once a month...wow... I could not even imagine being able to do that.
    chefjen

Answer by chefjen at 4:03 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• At least once a month. We live in Washington and love to travel to Oregon for the weekends. Then add on all the trips we make home to IL and FL it would average out to that.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 5:46 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• Rarely.. only for my doctors appointments and its only 1/2 hour away
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 11:46 AM on Jul. 22, 2010

• Usually around 6-7 times a year. We live in Ky about half an hour from Tn, so it's no big trip, :-) Plus, my daughter's cardiologist is in Nashville, so we go there a couple times a year.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 11:47 AM on Jul. 22, 2010

• 15-20+ times a year.... New England isn't that big when you compare it the the rest of the country so we get to NH, ME and RI quite often... we are in MA

Morgain

Answer by Morgain at 11:50 AM on Jul. 22, 2010

• We are very close to the NY State border so we are in and out of NJ NY just about weekly. Other than that, not much. We were recently in PA, and will be going to VA next month, that's probably it for the year...
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 12:01 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• Maybe 2-3 times a year. DH's niece lives in KS and it's about 2 hours from us, so we'll go visit (usually when she's throwing a family get together) once in awhile.

Growing up in TN, I lived near the TN/KY border, so going out of state was almost a daily thing, LOL.
    thatgirl70

Answer by thatgirl70 at 12:02 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• 1-2 times a year
    adakbride

Answer by adakbride at 12:02 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• For vacation, I travel 2-3 times a year. I love traveling and wish I could do it more!!
    Jessica39

Answer by Jessica39 at 12:04 PM on Jul. 22, 2010