How young is too young for social networking sites like Facebook?

I have an almost 9 yr old and her friends have Facebook pages. I will not let her I think she is to young!

redtree5

Asked by redtree5 at 11:49 AM on Jul. 22, 2010 in Just for Fun

• i really dont think theres anything wrong with a 9 yr old having a facebook. you can put all kinds of privacy and saftey blocks on her profile, and it should be used for her to keep in touch & have fun with her friends & family, not strangers. you can also monitor what she does and check it occasionally. whats the big deal? she just wants to have fun with her friends too. i dont really understand what makes her "too young" for a facebook.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 11:52 AM on Jul. 22, 2010

• The TOS (Terms of Service) for Facebook state that you must be 13 so all these friends have lied about their ages to get on Facebook....so not worth that. And TOS for MySpace is 14.
    Those guidelines are in place for a reason. And for a parent to let their children lie about their ages to be on these social networking sites, they are setting themselves up for other issues with their children later.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 11:52 AM on Jul. 22, 2010

• On some.. the parents can set it up where it is completely private.. and set an age limit on friends. If you are going to let her have one, I would make it clear that she is to only have her real life friends as friends on there, no talking to strangers, & that you should know her password & can check it anytime you like.
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 11:51 AM on Jul. 22, 2010

• 9 is far too young! High school is appropriate.
    justnancyb

Answer by justnancyb at 11:52 AM on Jul. 22, 2010

• Yes I think 9 is much too young for any type of social networking site. I think they should be at least high school age to start these things! It's just not safe.
    Jessica39

Answer by Jessica39 at 11:55 AM on Jul. 22, 2010

• I do believe most of the sites require the user to be 14. I'm not sure about Facebook but I know Myspace did. So if the kids have one they are lying about their age. AND in my opinion, 9 is definitely too young.

Cindy18

Answer by Cindy18 at 11:51 AM on Jul. 22, 2010

• Any kid under 18 is too young because of the crap that other flakey kids put on Facebook. It is called the dumbing-down of teens in America.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 11:53 AM on Jul. 22, 2010

• I'd say 13.
    NatesMommy118

Answer by NatesMommy118 at 11:53 AM on Jul. 22, 2010

• Even with the privacy setting, if someone knows how they can find out everything about you and where you live. I went to an Internet safety class and the policeman went to a girls Facebook that was set to private and in 10 minutes found out where she lives and had her house on Google maps.

It's scary!! Be careful.

Cindy18

Answer by Cindy18 at 11:55 AM on Jul. 22, 2010

• :-) My two year old has a FB.

I think it depends on what it is used for. Clearly, my two year old doesn't use her FB, but it is nice to have a site where it is all her pictures, updates on how she is doing, the different events she is involved in (swimming lessons, gymnastics, playdates, etc). So I don't have to post stuff about her all the time on mine where a lot of my online friends really don't care. Her friends are my family members (many of whom live out of state) and really love hearing how she is doing. Also, hers is completely private, you have to be her "friend" to view anything, and obviously I am the one who monitors that.

As far as being able to get on and have one her own, it is really up to the parents.
    FatGirl239

Answer by FatGirl239 at 11:59 AM on Jul. 22, 2010