Laying on your back while pregnant

What's this deal about not laying on your back after 5 months or so of pregnancy? I know it could pinch some nerve or something, but I'm not sure what or what will happen. I cannot, for the life of me, not lay on my back!! How important is this?

FrunchyMama

Asked by FrunchyMama at 3:09 AM on Oct. 2, 2008 in Pregnancy

• It's pretty important trust me. It pinches a certain nerve which makes the baby not be able to breathe correctly. It is hard at first but you will get used to sleeping in a different position.
    Peekalou

Answer by Peekalou at 5:43 AM on Oct. 2, 2008

• Lying on your back when you have significant abdominal weight (from baby :) will place pressure on a specific part of your aorta (descending aorta). In return it will decrease blood flow to the heart, thereby causing you to feel light headed (due to decreased blood volume where it is needed like in your muscles and brain) and eventually it can decrease blood flow to the fetus. Sleeping on your left side is best because it eliminates pressure on this portion of your heart. (continued below)
    madlyinlove412

Answer by madlyinlove412 at 7:49 AM on Oct. 2, 2008

• (from above)
    Also, you may irritate your sciatic nerve which runs from your lowback down each individual leg (It branches at your buttocks). Constant pressure and irritation on a nerve will cause whats called neurologic pain (shooting, muscles spasms, etc.) . I always found it hard to lay on my left side as I am a back sleeper and there were nights, even late into pregnancy, that I would wake up and try to stay in that magical left side position... I hope this helps you!
    madlyinlove412

• I end up on my back every night. The only real problem it can cause is sciatic pain for you. If you do end up pressing on the nerve that cuts off oxygen to your baby, your body will force you to wake up and you'll be short of breath, and that'll make you turn over. So no worries =]
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 12:43 PM on Oct. 2, 2008