Is it possible to re-teach someone elses kids?

I babysit my niece and nephew 5 days a week, they are 4 and 6, and they are really not well behaved kids. I have a 2 year old daughter who is picking up ALL of their bad habits, (Whining, hitting, not sharing, saying No to everything, ect) Is it possible for me to sort of re-program the kids while they're with me? Their parents dont discapline them at all, they pretty much do whatever they want, and the only form of discapline they get at home is just getting hit. (Which I dont do) Its just driving me nuts. And I dont want my daughter acting this way. She looks up to them because she isnt around many kids besides them, and they are older than her....
They wont use manners, they hit and scream and throw fits, and never listen, and Im goin crazy. lol. Advice?

Sherrae

Asked by Sherrae at 12:23 PM on Jul. 22, 2010 in General Parenting

• Then yes, I feel you NEED to re-teach them or let them know that behavior is NOT allowed in your home or around your daughter
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 12:25 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• Talk to the mom and let her know your house rules and what behavior is expected. If she is not able to abide by that then perhaps her kids need to be some place else.
    my2kids312

Answer by my2kids312 at 12:29 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• Your house, your rules....enforce, teach, do anything you want while you are watching the children in your house. If your sis(SIL) doesn't approve that tell her to find another daycare provider.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 12:35 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• Post a chart about House Rules. Let the parents know that you will be doing this - just to forestall any fussing. And put the rules, along with consequences, into action. I have rules that all kids in my home follow. You don't follow them, you don't need to be here. As long as the kids are not scrubbing your toilets, there is nothing wrong with you having rules or them being different from their home rules. There are different rules for everywhere we go in life - so if your home does thing differently - then that's ok.

I wouldn't let them behave badly in my home simply because they are allowed to do so elsewhere.
    LiliM

Answer by LiliM at 12:41 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• Yes you can! If you stick with consistent rules and consistent discipline your niece and nephew will learn what is expected in your home.  Maybe if the parents witness how great their kids can be they'll get on board too, but if they don't the kids will still be unruly for them. 

TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 12:42 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• I would absolutlely retrain them. I have a 19 mo that we watch 3 night a week. She knows what is expected here and her mom can't believe how well she listens here. She will not do the same at home because they don't' have the same rules or the same consistency.
    coala

Answer by coala at 1:09 PM on Jul. 22, 2010