Stranger Danger...

Anyone recomend books or dvds for children age 5 and younger? Anything about keeping safe from abductions and safe from body touching?

SwtSnowflake2

Asked by SwtSnowflake2 at 12:29 PM on Jul. 22, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Here's the thing. Most abductions and molestations actually come from people the children actually know. If you tell them to just watch out for strangers, they may not understand that anyone can be dangerous. I would continuously tell them that it is not okay to let anyone touch them. And let the child to go with their feelings. If they feel that something is not right, then they need to go find another adult and tell them.  Hopefully, these can give you some insight.

DVD: The Safe Side: Safe Side Superchick In Stranger Safety.

Also, check out www.goodtouchbadtouch.com/ 

krissyvelazquez

Answer by krissyvelazquez at 11:40 AM on Jul. 23, 2010

• And be careful - statistics show that most danger (kidnappings and molestation) are not perpetrated by strangers but by family members and family friends. You might want to consider teaching "good touch, bad touch" as well. I feel that teaching "stranger danger" can sometimes cause a false sense of security.
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 3:16 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• The safe side DVDS are good!
    SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 12:55 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• I know that John Walsh has one I just don't know the name of it. He is responsible for the "Code Adam" signs that you see when you go into stores.
    coala

Answer by coala at 1:06 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• Try the library.
    my2kids312

Answer by my2kids312 at 12:31 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• I don't know of books or DVD's, but I heard something good the other day. Tell your kids that grown ups should never be asking kids for any kind of help. If a grown up really needs help, they will ask other grown ups. I am adding that to the things that I tell my kids.
    luvmyguyandgirl

Answer by luvmyguyandgirl at 4:17 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• I do tell them noone is allowed to touch their privates and they are not allowed to touch other's privates. It just seems sometimes they don't listen to me and that maybe I'm missing something when talking with them.
    SwtSnowflake2

Comment by SwtSnowflake2 (original poster) at 4:21 PM on Jul. 22, 2010