Aspergers' and SSI

WE need the help. We have no money and he needs therapy not covered by ins. Plus I miss so much work durung the school year for meets with the school and counselors and therapist... I know it can be done but how hard is it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:40 PM on Jul. 22, 2010 in Kids' Health

• You can apply on your own through the social security website. Get ready for multiple interviews and such. Make sure you have extensive health records to prove what you are fighting. Unfortunately, most have to eventually appeal and hire attorneys to get SSI benefits. Does your child have Medicaid? All disabled children are covered under Medicaid regardless of the parent's income and such.
    xxlilmomma09

Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 12:45 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• It is difficult and you have to qualify by income. My friends daughter has Downs Syndrome and she doesn't qualify for Medicaid or SSI because her husband (not daughter's father) makes too much money 1,600/month. You are eligible for FMLA for up to 12 weeks through the year as long as you have been at your job for more than 1 year. If the child is under 3 they qualify for Early Intervention through the public school system. If over three they can go to a special needs pre K at public and get therapy.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 12:46 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• They take your income(s) into consideration.You may be able to get the therapies covered by medicaid,but probably not cash for SSI.That's more for adults with disabilities,at least here it is.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 12:45 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• matthewscandi, your friend's daughter should be covered under Medicaid regardless of the parent's income. My step son has downs syndrome and between his mother and his step dad, they make plenty. But because he is disabled, he is automatically approved for Medicaid through the state. They use it as a supplement insurance. Your friend was provided the wrong information.
    xxlilmomma09

Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 12:53 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• While all states do offer a Katie Beckett/deeming wavier, it is not always easy to get. Most states have extensive application requirements to try to weed out people from applying becauase funds are so stretched, plus some will limit the funds based on disability & need in an attempt to keep the funding for only the most profoundly disabled. If you do get approved, in many states there is a long waiting list (years long) and often a child will age out of the system before getting to the top of the list. It is still wothwhile to try for it, but just don't depend on it.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 6:39 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• Matthewscandi- it's called a deeming waiver. look it up!
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 1:23 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• For SSI, you must meet both income & diagnostic criteria. Depending on how functional your child is will be the primary determination for SSI disability qualification. Most ppl are denied for their initial application, but then approved w/the second application. You will need to provide information on your child's doctors, therapists, medication and schooling. You may have to do several interviews & you may have to take your child to an SSI doctor for diagnostic confirmation.

Helpful links:  SSI List of Childhood Disorders and Evidentiary Requirements

mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 1:46 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

I really hope you weren't trying to be snarky because I said nothing that deserved anyone to be rude. All I know is what my friend told me and what Medicaid told her. I have two SN children and our health insurance has paid for everything.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 3:08 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• No I wasn't at all. I wasn't sure the process so I said look it up. All I know is what it's called.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 3:57 PM on Jul. 22, 2010