Should the feds give the bail out money to the companies like AIG or to the people?

I'm against the $85,000,000,000.00 bailout of AIG. Instead, I'm in favor of giving $85,000,000,000 to Americans in a We Deserve It Dividend. To make the math simple, assume there are 200,000,000 U.S. Citizens 18+. Our population is about 301,000,000 counting every man, woman and child. So 200,000,000 might be a fair stab at adults 18+. Divide 200 million adults 18+ into $85 billion that equals $425,000.00. My plan is to give $425,000 to every person 18+ as a We Deserve It Dividend. It would NOT be tax free. Assume a tax rate of 30%. Every individual has to pay $127,500.00 in taxes. That sends $25,500,000,000 back to Uncle Sam. But it means that every adult 18+ has $297,500.00 in their pocket. Pay off your mortgage - housing crisis solved. Repay college loans - what a great boost. Save in a bank - create money to loan to entrepreneurs. Buy a new car - create jobs. Invest in the market - capital drives growth.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:14 AM on Oct. 2, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• Sounds like a fan-freakin-tastik idea to me.... but it's 4:30 a.m. and I haven't been to bed yet. So, the chances that I'm thinking clearly ar slim. :-)
    rachel92782

Answer by rachel92782 at 5:29 AM on Oct. 2, 2008

• This is the Birk Economic Plan. Please don't try to take credit for it.
    njmommy2boys

Answer by njmommy2boys at 9:40 AM on Oct. 2, 2008

• Considering that our great-great-great-grandchildren will still be paying on this debt... if we don't do the bailout then NO ONE should get anything.
    What on earth have we done to deserve a handout from the government? Sat around on our butts and complained that our "leaders" in Washington haven't done a good job? They do the job we ask them to do. If we don't call them, if we don't make our wishes known, if we don't educate ourselves about the issues - we deserve the government we get from power grubbing low-lifes.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 11:49 AM on Oct. 2, 2008

• I think the problem is not so simple. The bail out plan should protect the millions of people that would be affected by the crash of these companies. If it weren't for that, I'd be against it. Financial institutions are different than other businesses because so many people, rich and poor, lose when they fail. But I agree that strict conditions should be placed on this money, and design it so it discourages other companies from thinking they'll get help when they mess everything up.
    WD40

Answer by WD40 at 4:21 PM on Oct. 3, 2008