what toy works best for distracting the 8 month old baby? adult content

my daughter bought a lovely toy for my GrandWendy when she was about 3 months old. it had whirling cogs and a tinny little melody that played and captured the baby's attention, freeing her Mommy to do her household chores without carrying GrandWendy on her hip. GrandWendy would stop crying the second it was turned on. (i told her it was probably forged in the pits of hell and a virgin sacrificed over it, for it to be so magically effective in silencing the baby's crying.) now at 8 months old GrandWendy has outgrown the Soul-stealing toy and is no longer impressed with it. any suggestions for what type of toy we might provide which has the ability to hold her attention well? so far, Wendy is entranced by mirrors and cellphones and the tv set. but these are items that are most assuredly not good for teething on, to say the least.

ruejacobs

Asked by ruejacobs at 12:56 PM on Jul. 22, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• We had a farm by fisher price that was the "HIT" for about 9 mos. My LO got it at 6 mos for Christmas. It has a horse, cow and duck that all appropriate for teething, and even the fisher price aquarium are amazing. They can take the fish in and out and it play music. Those would be my picks.
    coala

Answer by coala at 12:59 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• They make "kid" remote and cellphones and the like that are baby toys, but, safe for chewing and distracting.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 1:00 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 1:01 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• why is this TMI???

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 1:02 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• That's a great age for an activity table that has items both low and high for a sitting/crawling or standing/cruising baby to play with.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 1:02 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• The best toy for an 8mo old is there sibling if they have one. My 9 mo old prefers her siblings to any toy.
    Alynn74

Answer by Alynn74 at 1:03 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• I prefer a wrap, mei tai, or sling. I can get things done hands free and baby is beyond entertained. Manual labor is endlessly fun when you get to ride and watch..
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 1:05 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• If she is not walking excersaucers are great. They have many different things on it to keep their attention and also have things they can chew on.
    MsHouseWife

Answer by MsHouseWife at 1:21 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• butterflyblue asked why is this TMI???

because i haven't the slightest idea how to change the settings for the question and hit that button by mistake! lol
    ruejacobs

Comment by ruejacobs (original poster) at 1:51 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• my daughter has an activity table for her, but Grand Wendy doesn't like to be confined in the little seat very long. she grumbles at her Mommy when placed in it for more than a few minutes and if her scolding is not responded to after a few minutes it turns into a full out banshee wail...lol.

i love the little fisher price fishbowl and might end up looking for that. the little toy remotes and music players were pretty sweet, too!
    ruejacobs

Comment by ruejacobs (original poster) at 1:55 PM on Jul. 22, 2010