Military Members and foodstamps

We dont make much and after bills are paid we are left with about 200(biweekly)for food.We have cut things down,changed phone plans,internet(to most those things are not important,but to a military family its EVERYTHING)Are any other military members getting food stamps.we were denied because we make to much :/ I dont work.They said its the BAH that makes us not get it.SO im confused.ALSO my case worker said its BEST for me to be a SAHM due to out finances we would be WORSE off if I was working.Daycare,extra car extra insurance...We make less then 2000 a month and were denied...anyone else go through this?They also offered a work program to help me find a job.I was really looking forward to the class :( I guess this is more of a confused ramble right? Sorry lol I just dont understand what I can do.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:59 PM on Jul. 22, 2010 in Money & Work

• Wow, that's a lot for food. Much more than many have. And what I'd do for anything close to 2 grand a month ....
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 1:01 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• If your kids are young enough u can get them in the WIC program that will help with a small amount of things like milk and cheese.. but a little is better then nothing
    MommySteph1011

Answer by MommySteph1011 at 1:01 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• are you on wic
    that coudl help out with a little bit. we are a family of 5, husbands in the Army
    sandraberke

Answer by sandraberke at 1:09 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• The Army has their own program that is available to lower enlisted ranks such as E-1 and E-2. All money is included in your income, including BAH and BAS. Do you live on post or off post? What base are you at? What is your husband's rank? If you are that bad off on money, I would highly recommend attending a free finance class on post where they can help you find ways to free up more money and help provide you with the proper resources you may need.
    xxlilmomma09

Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 1:13 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• I got denied and I'm a stay at home mom and my husband works in contracting. what they do is look at your monthly total BEFORE taxes and then they look at the total people in the household. If you make more you dont get approved...my husband would go months with out working but because his checks said he made X amount before we got denied. the food stamp program seems a little backward to me. They are some really hard working people out there who can't make ends meet and who struggle and can't get assistance. then you have folks out there who don't do anything and get all the assistance in the world. There are a quite a few programs in the military that will help with financial issues. Look into them and find out what you qualify for...
    MeekMeek

Answer by MeekMeek at 1:14 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• Make a budget and stick to it, and that includes groceries. Shop the sales, clip coupons, price compare - you'd be surprised at how cheaply one can grocery shop when they have to. You have much more grocery money than I do, and I even feed my 17 year old son and often a houseful of his friends! My daughter's a darn good eater too!
    You can do it, just buy items when they're on sale, stock up on specials, don't buy a lot of junk, don't just buy what you want at the grocery ... it certainly can be done.
    justnancyb

Answer by justnancyb at 1:16 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• If the income requirements indicates that for your family size and household income that you do not qualify...then there is not much you can do. It seems confusing/unfair/etc. that they don't consider all of the other bills you have to pay...and I believe they didn't used to include BAH (you could try to verify that they are not supposed to include that). I agree that depending on your child/children age, WIC is a great program and their income requirements are not so strict (no BAH, BAS, etc). There might also be resources at your base's family support office (not sure which branch your affiliated with) such as Navy-Marine Corp. Relief society, Red Cross, military food outreach programs, church's,. etc. They usually have a ton of resources, you just have to ask. The Navy Marine Corp Relief society helped us when we had a large unexpected vehicle problem. Check your base's website for resources as well. Good luck!
    Lily23

Answer by Lily23 at 1:21 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• Start a home business and make enough $$ you will not have to worry about such. Contact me and I will tell you what I do. Work is fun and the company is very strong. It has an A+ rating with the BBB, is almost 40 years old and is traded on the New York Stock Exchange.
    Gene_Godwin

Answer by Gene_Godwin at 6:08 PM on Jul. 23, 2010