Any moms with siblings 1 year apart?

I have 2 boys ages 13 months and 1 month, im doing alright for now but i wanted to know if anyone has tips , advice for coping with two very needy children at once.....and how to stay calm when both of them decide to scream at the same time..

Admira

Asked by Admira at 1:03 PM on Jul. 22, 2010 in General Parenting

• My boys are now 16 and 17. My only advice is Good Luck! Sometimes it feels like having twins....
    WoodWitch

Answer by WoodWitch at 1:05 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• Mine are 23 months and 9 months. Some times are harder than others. I am a SAHM for various reasons. A consistent schedule is everything in my home. Letting the older one help and do more to feel appreciated and not left out is useful. I can tell you my 23 month old still takes a bottle at nap and bed, and ocassionally at points in the day when he sees the babies. It was a fight I just couldn't continue, they will both loose them together. I do only give millk at sleep times and water if he is throwing an absolute fit. Other than that he gets milk, juice, etc in his cup. At night it's rough when my hubby is gone. I have learned when putting the baby down for a nap, I have to keep the older one in a playpen infront of the tv watching his favorite show YoGabbaGabba and keep the livingroom gated off. This made it easier for the baby to have bottle and relax for nap. It got easier when the baby started crawling...
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 1:09 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• Me and my sister are 16 months apart. My middle three were born 2/04 1/05 and 12/05. Establish rules and don't deviate from them. If they are screaming for no reason then they need to sit on/in there bed until they can be quiet and YES you can do it to a 13 months old, they understand. It will be rough for the first 18 months but, it will get better.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 1:09 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• ...and they began to play together more. Remember as the baby gets older his schedule continues to change. My days now, they don't nap at the same time. They wake within an hour of each other for the day. Then the baby naps from about 11 to 12:30 or 1. Then they older goes down from 2 to 4 or 5. Then the baby goes back down around 3:30 or 4. So no time for just me, but time for me and one of them, to give that attention. I also do cleaning and cooking as it needs done, I think it's important for them to learn to play alone and see mommy has things she has to do. My older helps clean things up, which is nice and great learning. Some days I want to hang myself and others I am completely fine LOL Hope I gave you some good tips!!
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 1:12 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• I have 2 girls, The oldest is 25 months and my baby is 7 months apart. Its not easy I will tell you. My advice "Dont strive for Perfection!" it cant be done without making you lose your mind. Take one thing one step at a time and when you feel overwhelmed just remind yourself its a temporary situation. What I do is clean when they are sleeping, laundry and all... when they are awake we play, go for walks, feed the animals etc.. give them alot of activities so they feel so tired around bedtime that they wont dare to fight with ya! I am also taking online classes so when they are watching their favortie cartoons i study. ALSO YOU ARE ONLY HUMAN SO WHEN YOU'RE TIRED, GET SOME REST!!!!
    navajomama7

Answer by navajomama7 at 1:29 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• thank you all so much for the great tips and advice...
    Admira

Comment by Admira (original poster) at 1:33 PM on Jul. 22, 2010