do you have to be seperated for a year after a divorce?

someone once told me that if a divorce were to happen, it wont be finalized till your seperated for a year. so does that mean one cant date or move in with another man after you file the divorce papers?

americansugar80

Asked by americansugar80 at 1:12 PM on Jul. 22, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Frankly, you can date legally while you are married...it will just make the person want to divorce you. There are no dating laws.

You probably cant get married for a year but you should remarry to someone you have known for less than that amount of time anyways. I wouldnt go man hunting but if you meet a nice guy who your into...go out with him. Its a free country and they cant tell you who to socialize with!
    amber710

Answer by amber710 at 1:24 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• Depends on your state laws.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 1:12 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• depends on the state, but for every one I've been in yes that is the case.

but no it doesn't mean you can't date or move in with anyone! It just means you can be living with the person you want to divorce!
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 1:14 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• well i live in Minnesota
    americansugar80

Comment by americansugar80 (original poster) at 1:14 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• Look up the divorce laws in Minnesota.
    xxlilmomma09

Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 1:16 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• It depends on the state.
    As far as a divorce goes, I personally think it is a good idea for someone to wait at least a year to start dating again.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 1:16 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• It all depends on the state, but I would look up what your state laws are. I know here is NY you have to be legally seperated for a year before a divorce, you can date other people you just can't live with your ex after you file.
    ktlyn79s

Answer by ktlyn79s at 1:21 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• I meant you should NOT marry someone you have known less then a year. lol. typed that way wrong.
    amber710

Answer by amber710 at 1:25 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• Well your state law determines how long you must be separated. Here in PA I kicked him out and filed for divorce the next day and it was final 2 months later (neither contested it and we had no kids). The property agreement and stuff was not final for about 6 months. I do not think it is a good idea to move in with a guy in less then a year, but to each their own.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 1:33 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• well lets say im the one leaving the house
    americansugar80

Comment by americansugar80 (original poster) at 2:21 PM on Jul. 22, 2010