Should the feds bail out companies like AIG or is this another option?

I'm against the $85,000,000,000.00 bailout of AIG. Instead, I'm in favor of giving $85,000,000,000 to Americans in a We Deserve It Dividend. To make the math simple, assume there are 200,000,000 U.S. Citizens 18+. Our population is about 301,000,000 counting every man, woman and child. So 200,000,000 might be a fair stab at adults 18+. Divide 200 million adults 18+ into $85 billion that equals $425,000.00. My plan is to give $425,000 to every person 18+ as a We Deserve It Dividend. It would NOT be tax free. Assume a tax rate of 30%. Every individual has to pay $127,500.00 in taxes. That sends $25,500,000,000 back to Uncle Sam. But it means that every adult 18+ has $297,500.00 in their pocket. Pay off your mortgage - housing crisis solved. Repay college loans - what a great boost. Save in a bank - create money to loan to entrepreneurs. Buy a new car - create jobs. Invest in the market - capital drives growth.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:17 AM on Oct. 2, 2008 in Money & Work

• I definately agree with the idea of sharing the wealth with the people who deserve it and not with the ones who screwed up in the first place. I wish I could share this idea with every one of those adults who would benefit from this kind of 'bail out' for our economy. Who are they kidding when they tell the people that the only way to save our financial infrastructure is to spend more of the taxpayers money on a quick patch that allows the ones who screwed up to keep thier CEO level income and "survive" to play the game another day. Give it to the people and it's the economy that keeps on giving!
    MoonDanceMommy

Answer by MoonDanceMommy at 3:24 AM on Oct. 2, 2008

• Good idea. The numbers aren't quite right though....85 billion divided by 200 million is $425. Not enough to drive the growth needed to jump start the economy.

I wish the numbers were right though!
    TrudyP

Answer by TrudyP at 7:03 AM on Oct. 2, 2008

• I agree with that completely. When we the average people get into trouble and need to be bailed out does the government come to our aid? No they don't we have to fix our problems on our own! Your right though if the goverment would give the people money (and not just a couple hundred dollers) that would help. That add getting companies to bring there jobs back here. Those are my thoughts.
    Dragonliegh

Answer by Dragonliegh at 9:04 AM on Oct. 2, 2008

• NO!!!! what we need is a change in our economy and FAST!!!
    Ladies..all good points.. I agree.

Let's all vote!!!
    BusinessMom123

Answer by BusinessMom123 at 1:36 PM on Oct. 2, 2008